iv. FOUR

︵‿︵‿୨ 1972 ୧‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿୨ 1972 ୧‿︵‿︵

     "TRY IT AGAIN," Rene had her thumb pressed down on the speaker button while she spoke at Penny in the booth, causing the guitarist to frown a little as she played with the tuning on her guitar. "But this time maybe go a little higher and drag that out just before the drums kick in. This'll be the last note I promise."

     "Yeah that's what you said two takes ago," Penny rolled her eyes, causing Sadie to chuckle and Lela to shake her head in amusement as the curly-haired girl fixed her guitar one more time and then nodded at the sound tech to rewind the recording for what would — hopefully — be their last take of the day. Sadie really hoped that it was, since she wanted nothing more than to disappear back into her bed and write out all the thoughts that seemed to plague her since the night of the party nearly a week ago.

     As the overhead 'recording' sign blinked red again and Penny's guitar plucked into life Sadie's mind began to drift, like it happened to do more and more often now, while she leant back into her seat and chewed absently on her thumb nail.

     The blonde didn't really know what she expected to happen in the days following Jimmy's party, but life has seemingly returned back to ordinary after her awkward semi-walk-of-shame the morning after letting him take care of her drunken self. That had been five days ago, and since then she hadn't heard anything from the Led Zeppelin guitarist except when Catalina mentioned that he just so happened to ask how Sadie was when the two crossed paths. It was as if nothing had ever happened at all, and for some reason it irked her that he hadn't even tried to reach out. Not that she should've expected anything else from him. After all, nothing really did happen... right?

     A knock on the door behind her snapped her out of her thoughts, making her get out of her chair quietly — so that she didn't distract Penny from her solo — and open up the door to their room slightly to see the outlined figure on the outside. "Oh hey Pam," she smiled a little at the woman who worked as the admin for the recording studio, receiving a small smile in response as the older woman pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "Do you need something?"

     "Actually I just took a note down from a phone call that was addressed to you," the woman replied in her thick Welsh accent, causing Sadie's eyebrows to raise slightly in surprise. Usually when people tried to contact her they did so through her manager, or called her directly, and this seemed to have 'reporters' written in bold all over it.

     "Did they leave a name?" She wondered.

     "Oh sure," Pam looked down at her notepad and squinted slightly to make out the cursive. "It was from a, um, Mister James."