{4}Kaneki

📚Chapter 4📚
Kaneki

     The rays of early morning sun shone in your face. Stretching and yawning, you opened your eyes and saw that you were well tucked-in with a cushion behind your head and a blanket over your body.
The doors to the balcony was open with the morning breeze made the curtains danced around in the air.
     It was Kaneki who stood at the balcony, looking over Tokyo's view. You got up and thought you should give him your thanks.
"Good morning, I'd just like to say thanks for saving my life last night. But I never got your name.."
"So, you forgot your own childhood friend?" He turned his attention over to you. Passing his hands through his bangs, showing his deep, dark eyes.
     You furrowed your eyebrows and looked at him properly. "K- Kaneki?"
"Nice seeing you again.."
"Since when did your hair turn white?"
"It's a long story.."
"And what about Hide?"
"I haven't.. heard from him in a while. So when did you get back?"
"A few days ago. I heard you had an organ transplant.." You brought up the topic, waiting to hear what he had to say for himself.
      His eyebrows went into a straight line.
"How'd you find out?"
"The land lady. Why wouldn't you tell me something like that?"
"I didn't want to worry you to the point where you wanted to fly back here and disrupt yourself from your studies."
"So, If Hide died, heaven forbid, would you have kept it a 'secret'?"
"I know you've worked hard to reach how far you are and disturbing your peace isn't the best thing to do."
"Okay.." You sighed, something wasn't right.
He's so different, so cold, so emotionless.. What really happened for the past three years?

📚📚📚

     Walking through the halls, about five more Investigators were admitted into the hospital.
You walked with other nurses, carrying baskets full of dirty sheets and covers.
"Have you heard about some new ghoul named,
'Eye Patch'?"
"He is one tough ghoul.."
"His appearance adds on to it, the silver hair, that scary Frankenstein
mask."
"I wonder whatever had happed to that boy with the organ transplant?"
"What about you, (Name)?"
"I just came in the country so, I don't know much. I heard about the organ transplant though.."
They continued to babble and theorize on ghouls and investigators while you quietly listened.

📚📚📚

    Kaneki stood right there at the spot where you were almost attacked. You were actually grateful that he came, so history can't repeat itself ever again.
"Hi Kaneki."
"Hey." He raised himself off the column that he was braced on and walked up to you.
"How's work?"
"A little easier now that I'm being dismissed early."
     The rain poured as both of you shared an umbrella and walked when all of a sudden, his grip tightened around your wrist and began to walk briskly.
"What's the matter? Is something going on?"  
 "They're onto us, the two men who I let get away."
"Well- what are we gonna do?"
"Keep walking, and don't look back."
"O- okay."
      They were close enough to the point where their footsteps can be heard in the puddles made by the drizzling rain.
What was Kaneki going to do? He can't fight them, especially with so much people around.
'This is the only way..' He said to himself as he dropped the umbrella.
    You looked at him in utter confusion, "Kaneki-" His lips gently touched yours as the umbrella touched the ground.
He gave a death glare to the side of his eye with his Kakugan activated and glared at them as though saying, "Back off, she's mine." they turned around and left.
"They're gone now." He said as he turned his attention to you.
You looked up at him as your cheeks boiled a hot, red color and spilled across the bridge of your nose. The rain poured on your hair and ran down your face like tears, it was all a sign that you were shocked at his sudden action.
    He picked up the umbrella and said, "It seems to me that they won't be troubling you anymore." He held the umbrella over your head, putting the handle between your trembling fingers.
"I'm sorry that I did it all so sudden." He apologized, the guilt evident in his deep, dark ocean eyes. The white skies and the ocean was filled with ashes and rubble.
"N- no.. I- it's o- okay. At least something good came out of it. They're gone now, a- aren't they?" You put on  a forced smile then bit your bottom lip as you continued to walk.
'Dear God in Heaven, when will my series of unfortunate events ever end?'
"Yeah, they are."

"No fair. You really know how to make me cry, when you gimme those Ocean Eyes."