CHAPTER ONE

''My lady, the empress will be here shortly,'' the maidservant said. I was pacing about in imperial halls of my sister's chambers anxiously awaiting her arrival when my thoughts were interrupted. My sister had sent an imperial degree to my home bidding me to come at once. When my grandmother heard the news she was shocked and urged me to go to the imperial palace as soon as possible. I arrived within a half hour as our home was in the capital of our Northern Xia kingdom. 

''Her Majesty is here,'' my sister's servant announced, snapping me out of my thoughts. My sister looked at me with a serious face as she entered into her her throne room, her servants following behind her, gesturing me to come inside. I quickly entered the room and marveled at the golden pillars and red ralls in which her chambers were painted. It emulated radiance, enchantment and most importantly power. Golden pheonixes adorned the red walls and wooden chairs with intricate designs were placed across from one another. These chairs were for the imperial consorts and concubines, they were used for official harem meetings and audiences with the empress. My sister's golden dragon throne however was placed in front of the chairs on top a large pedestal. Anyone looking at her atop her throne would feel intimiated as I currenly was.

''Lady Bai greets Her Majesty the empress, wishing the empress happiness and prospertity,'' I immediately said, greeting my sister in a formal manner. This was expected of in the palace as rules and decorum was of the highest importance. I slowly bowed my head into submission awaitng my sister's command.

''You may rise,'' she said.

''Sit down sister and have some tea. We have an important matter to discuss,'' she continued. My sister was never one for delaying the envitable. Whatever she had on her mind she said. It was one of her qualities I admired. I rose silently from the ground and sat on the chair closest to me. A servant had returned and placed a tray of tea and small treats in a table beside me. 

''Your Majestly, how is your stomach?'' I asked as I looked at my sister. Her belly was protruding from her red dress. She was seven months pregnant. I had visited her last week and she had constanly complained about her mourning sickness which had not disappeared.

''I am quite well. The physicial said that it's going to be a girl.''

''That's exciting, I'm finally going to have a little niece to play with. The crown prince won't feel so lonely now,'' I said with a smile on my face. The crown prince was my nephew and just about three years old. My sister had struggled to give birth to him. He was the emperor's only legitimate child. My sister was his second empress as his first had passed away five years ago. The emperor had several sons and daughters but only a legitimate son could inherit the empire. My sister was selected because of her beauty and high status as the daughter of a powerful duke. Although I was happy for her I was slightly envious. I had wealth and status as well, even though my father was merchant but she had prestiege and power, something which was dangerous and exhilarating at the same time.

''It was difficult for me to concieve again, the doctor said that I took a great risk to bring Xian'er into this world but I was happy to find out I would be a mother again,'' she said. Even though my sister was the mother of the nation and technically the royal mother to all the emperor's children, having her own children was prefered.

''Two days ago the Liang kingdom sent an envoy requesting a princess to be sent to marry their crown prince.''

''The Liang kingdom is very powerful right now, ever since they conquered the Chen kingdom. My grandfather told me that their naval power and military strategy is by far the best in all the six kingdoms.''

''I know, an alliance with them would be beneficial to us but I'm concerned. The emperor does not want to wed one of his daughters to them. They're barbarians and I don't know what kind of life would the princess live. Their winters are harsh and their lands barren.I'm afraid the princess wouldn't have a decent life if she lived there.''

''A princess' duty is to her country and to her people. If an alliance is to be made I think that a princess should be wed to their crown prince.''

''How can you say that? The Liang people are brutish and I'm concerned for the princess' wellbeing.''

''If an alliance can't be made we risk offending them and that could lead to war. Our kingdom is not prepared to deal with the repercussions.'' I said after watching my sister intently. Last year the Liang kingdom attacked our border and conquered  ten of our cities. Thousands of our soldiers perished. We couldn't risk another attack from them. If another war took place my younger brother would be forced to fight. It was a custom for all boys noble or not to fight for their country if under attack from another. 

''Do you have in mind a princess to wed their crown prince?''I asked.

''I've told the emperor that Princess Wenyi would be a perfect candidate but I'm concerned that she's too spoiled and reluctant to go.''

''Princess Wenyi is the emperor's first daughter, I think it's fitting that she go.''

''I know but she's admant.''

''If Princess Wenyi weds the crown prince, one day she will become the empress of Liang. Have you explained this to her?'' I asked.

''Yes, I told her this yesturday but her mother Consort Shu is unwilling to let her go. The Liang kingdom have also requested for the princess to send five dowry maids for the crown prince. I was discussing this with the emperor as well and we have selected four noble daughters from the kingdom to go with the princess. However I summoned you here today to tell you that I've also selected you to go with the princess to the Liang kingdom.''

I was astonished, I didn't want to be a dowry maid for the princess but if I refused I would be defying an imperial order and that would be punishable by death. I would also be contradicting myself. A princess' duty was to her country and so was mine. I was a noble daughter of the Northern Xia kingdom and this wasan  obligation. I had so many thoughts running through my mind. I truely didn't want to do this but I knew my sister, once her decision was made I would have to go through with it. I would have to leave my home, my family and my kingdom to become a secondary wife to man I did not know. However this had to be done for the sake of peace. 

''I chose you to go with the princess because I need you to take care of her. I need you to ensure that she becomes their empress and I want you to ensure that the crown prince won't attack our kingdom,'' my sister said snapping me out of my dismal thoughts. 

''I am willing to go but I'm worried about my grandparents.''

''Don't worry, your brother's still here in the capital, he will take care of them and I will send some servants to also help them. All I need you to do is ensure that no harm comes to our kingdom. I know I should be asking the princess to do this but I'm afraid she wouldn't understand or wouldn't care but I know you will.''

'' I will, I promise Your Majesty, I will look after our interests and protect our country.'' I said solemnly. I couldn't risk my brother going off to fight in the war if our kingdom was attacked. There couldn't be any defiance to our union. My brother was the only male child born to my father and he would inherit my father's wealth and assets. He had to survive and I needed to help my country. I must go through with this even if it killed me.

''A word of advice sister, don't fall in love. Don't fall in love with cown prince or anyone else for that matter. Love can lead to death. Both men and women do stupid things for the sake of love. I don't want you falling into that,'' my sister said while staring intensly at me. She was best peson to give me that advice. I knew she felt no love for the emperor but she did what she had to for sake of her country and her children. The harem was an unforgiving place and she had learnt her lesson well. The thought of that incident sent shivers down my spine.

''Now that you have understood the purpose of your visit you may return home,'' my sister said before she arose and exited her throne room. I looked at the room for the last time, closing my eyes and taking a mental picture of it. I knew this would be the last time I ever saw it. My future now was somewhere afar but maybe then I also knew that my fate would be somewhat similar to my sister.