Let's Run Away Together

~Toby's POV~
I drowned my thoughts out with the sound of my footsteps on the pavement. People were staring, like normal. Like, hey, nothing to see here. Just a pale 7 year old walking all by himself.

My tics didn't help whatsoever, but, I didn't care, obviously.

It was just my normal routine, until I saw something that made me want to say something.

It was a figure, who looked like a young boy, covered in mud. He was laying on a bench, he looked like he wasn't breathing.

My first question was of course: "Why the hell is nobody saying anything about this boy?"

My instincts told me to see if he was alright, so I did.

I walked up to the park bench before stopping. I didn't know what to say or how to help. So I just sorta stood there, staring at him.

He wasn't moving, at all. I slowly reached out with my finger and poked him on the shoulder. His head jolted up, causing me to stumble back in surprise.

He looked beyond confused.

"H- hey, I just w- wanted to make sure you're okay." I explained

His eyes widened, "Thank you," he said bowing his head.

His soft tone took me by surprise. Instantly I felt connected, like we needed to become best friends now.

"It's nothing. R- really," I said.

The boy got up from the park bench, but as soon as he tried to stand, his legs gave out beneath him.

I caught him by instinct, blurting out "Jesus Christ!"

"I'm sorry," he said, "I don't recall it being so difficult to stand."

"I- it's okay," I said, using my arms to steady him.

Once he could stand again I felt it was necessary to introduce myself, "My name's Toby!" I said as cheerful as possible.

"Ben," he said simply.

"R- really? That's a cool n- name! I've always like the name Ben!"

I noted how his face turned pink as soon as I said that, "Thanks."

"Do you have a home B- Ben?" I asked politely.

Ben shook his head, "Actually, I've run away from home."

My eyes widened in surprise, "Wait, r- really?"

He nodded, "I don't have a home, and everything I packed is ruined from last nights storm."

"That would explain why you're having trouble standing. You probably haven't eaten in days!"

Ben looked at the ground, clearly embarrassed.

"H- hey, it's ok," I said reassuringly, "you can stay at my house!"

Shit! I wasn't thinking when I said that. What if my dad sees him? Oh God.

To my surprise Ben shook his head, "No, I'm sorry. I can't stay anywhere or he'll find me. I have to keep going."

I crossed my arms, "Then I'm coming with you."

FUCK! Can't I think before I speak like once?!

"What?! But-"

"Listen to me," I put my hands on his shoulders, "I know you're just some random boy that I just met passed out on a park bench, but if you go by yourself and end up getting kidnapped or killed or whatever... I'll NEVER forgive myself, okay? So please, just let me come with you."

~Ben's POV~
Did this weird ass kid really say that, or am I dreaming? I looked him in the eyes and nodded, "Ok."

How else was I supposed to respond?! If he's gonna give me some speech about how he'll feel guilty if something bad happened to me, I might as well let him come.

This kid was weird on his own, he wasn't a normal kid, I could tell. He had sickly pale skin that almost looked grey, he twitched from time to time, causing him to stutter when he spoke. His features looked sad, while he acted pretty cheerful.

I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something hiding underneath that pale skin of his.