Nervous

"What about Liza?" I ask him, not knowing what the response would be.

---

I have never been so nervous in my life. The answer to this question would change everything. All the months of us slowly changing our dynamic to being two kids who have been best friends since forever to two people who could be together.

Where or when things changed, I don't quite remember. But when they did it seemed weird, unusual, but good.

Before then, David was just a friend I knew I would always have, the amazing yet childish and endearing boss I had. But then a few months ago we started realizing that wasn't the case anymore.

I found myself not minding staying up with him while he finishes his vlog late at night or even early in the morning. Then the usual setup changed to that as well, it was gradual but we both noticed. I would usually just sit or lay down across from him on the couch and wait for him to be done editing. But then we started to move closer and closer to each other each and every night.

It started of with me sitting next to him, then I started to fall asleep on his shoulder. Some nights I would even do it on purpose when I started to notice that when he thought I was asleep he would run his fingers through my hair, slowly and softly, and he would breathe in like it was making him more at ease.

Then one night I had my head rested on his shoulder then he put his laptop down and rested his head on mine. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer. Both of us didn't say a word and we just laid there listening to each other breathe.

"Nat?" He softly said, checking if I was awake.

"Yeah?" I say, letting him know I was.

"Is this-" he hesitates then takes a breath.

"What?" I pull away slightly just enough to be able to look at him face to face. I rest my hand on his chest.

He looked scared, unsure. I've never seen him look so vulnerable in front of me.

"Is this okay with you?" He asked me as he pulled me even closer to him.

I just look at him for a while and appreciated this side of him. Never once in our entire friendship did I ever think I would see him this way with me. Then I reached out to caress his face and he leans in to it.

"Yes," I said in a voice just above a whisper, "it is."

He pulled me in for a hug and I wrap my legs around his waist wanting to feel all of it, his warmth, his touch, his arms around me making me feel like I was in the safest place om earth.

After a few seconds he just whispered, "Good." Then we both looked at each other and just smiled like there's no tomorrow.

But now it has almost been a month and we both know that this is getting serious. I know that my feelings have grown more and more each day with him and I think it's happening both ways.

I was unsure that he was feeling the same until tonight.

He asks out of the blue, "Do you want to be with me?" And I stand across from him stunned.

We are both in the kitchen just preparing some food and I'm not sure if I'm hearing him correctly.

It's been few seconds of me not answering when he continues, "Because I want to be with you. I want to do this."

He looks so serious and sincere. He begins to walk closer to me and then now he's holding my arms making me look at him.

I panic and the only thing that I blurt out is, "What about Liza?"

He looks confused, "What about her?"

I don't know what to say. Hearing him say the one sentence I've been wanting to hear for while just leaves me here with nothing to say.

"Natalie, if you think I'm not over her and if I'm still in love with her, let me just tell you that I am and I'm not in love with her anymore. And there's only one person I know I want to be with and that's you." He looks me in the eyes, "Just you."

I want this. I do. I just don't know how to say it to him in the most sincere way I can so I pull him in and kiss him.

We've kissed before, but not like this. It's like I'm telling him everything I'm feeling with this kiss. I'm running my hands through his hair and he's pulling me and holding me closer like I'm gonna pull away any second. But I'm not. Never.

---

Last night was a blur but everything that happened is engraved in my mind.

I wake up wrapped around in his arms and there's nowhere else I'd rather be. Seeing him so serene while he's asleep still gives me butterflies in my stomach. I run my fingers through him arms as I watch his chest rise and fall.

This is happening. David and I are happening.

It seems so surreal and I am all for it. I'm falling in love with my childhood friend and best friend. There is nothing in the world that can make happier.

"Hey," he softly says as he wakes up.

"Oh, hey. You're awake." I give him a sweet smile and a peck on the cheek.

He chuckles a bit then says, "I know this is pretty obvious but you know you're my girlfriend now right? No take backs."

We both laugh.

"You're such a dork." Is all I say before I kiss him.

This is the best thing in the world.