Too Late

"Don't say it David." She points at him, furious, tears flowing from her eyes. "Don't you fucking dare!" Her voice cracking from the sobs escaping her lips.

David also crying in front of Natalie, steps forward and tries to come near her to offer comfort but she pushes him away frustratedly.

"I'm sorry Nat. But I have to. I need you to hear it." He whispers, "I'm so sorry." Over over again then says, "This is selfish I know. And it's too late. I know I know I'm too late." He places his hand on his chest, a sob escapes his lips again, "But I love you. I love you Natalie."

Natalie's cries suddenly stops and she stares right into David's eyes with anger. Then she walks towards him and starts to bang on his chest furiously.

"David what the fuck?! I told you not to say it! I-- I told you! Not! To! Say! It! I told you---" She gets stopped by David who tries pulls her in for a hug while she bangs on his chest.

He holds her there. She keeps shouting at him and the tears continue to flow from her eyes. When she stops he pulls her hands and wraps it around his waist to pull her closer to him as she sobs. He caresses her hair as he nuzzles his face by her neck. Both of them hugging each other as they cry like there's no tomorrow.

"Natalie," he whispers, "I just needed you to hear it and I'm so so so sorry." He hugs her even tighter. "You don't have to do anything about it. Especially not now. Because I know you're happy--," David stops as he chokes a bit as he cries, "you're happy with him."

"Why now? Why now Dave?" She asks softly, anger now absent from her voice. Just pain and frustration that she couldn't explain. "You know I can't hurt him."

"Because I'm a dumb son of a bitch Nat. I'M SO DUMB." He says as he pulls away and goes down to the ground hopeless.

Natalie sits down beside him crying again.

"I knew it. No I felt it when we started to become more." David says, now he's the one raising his voice, but not to her but to himself. "And you know what I did? I pushed all those feelings down and locked it there." He ruffles his hair frustatingly not knowing how to deal with the current situation.

Natalie's just looking at him defeated because she knows she loves him. So much. But she's with someone else now.

After pining and waiting for David to get his shit together for so long, she stopped. Everyone around her already felt sorry for her because they all thought David would never get to this point. Where he was finally ready to go all in on them.

But now it was too late. Things weren't the same as it was 3 months ago. There was someone else besides the two of them who could get hurt. They both knew that.

"Natalie," he says as he turns to look at her. "I just want to hear it from you." He takes her hand, "Please say it. So I can stop this. So that we can go back to how it was. So you can go back to being happy because all I'm doing is causing you pain." He's trying to be strong now because he knows that even if it's too late Natalie still doesn't want to see him in pain. He knows he has to be strong in order to put things back in its place.

"Dave, I--" Natalie cries. "I don't think I can."

"You can. Just say it." He cups her face and does his best to keep in the tears and smile sadly. "I'll be okay. Okay? You can say it. Please." He begs.

She nods as she also tries to stop her tears. "Dav--" A sob still find its way out but she composes herself. "David," she places her hands to where his is, "We can't. We can't do this." She looks down trying to not cry and looks up again. "It's too late. I'm sorry."

David just stares at her for moment. Taking her in one last time like this. Where all of their emotions are laid on the table and no feelings are kept in check. Then he kisses her forehead for as long as he can tell himself it's okay for then starts to walk away towards his room.

But in that moment, where Natalie sees him walking away, it's like something in her clicked. She didn't care anymore. About anyone else.

David is the love her life.

No matter how much pain they have been through, she realizes that he's finally here. He's finally laid it all down for her. The timing of it all is tragic but she didn't care.

It's always going to be him.

"Dave! She calls out to him and he stops walking.

As he turns around Natalie is running towards him, and when she reaches him their lips connect.

They stay there in that moment until they felt like they had poured everything out onto that kiss. Every emotion, love, care and every feeling that had been pushed down for so long.

"It's you Dave. It's always going to be you." Their foreheads touch and they just stay they looking at each other living in the moment they're in. Finally together.

-------

What they didn't know was Jeff was there. He arrived just in time to see Natalie run to David, not thinking of her boyfriend Jeff.

For months now, Jeff had been trying to convince Natalie that she should focus her attention to him, because he thought that she was getting hurt. He loved Natalie so much. He saw how much David meant to her and how they did belong together.

He was on the way to pick her up for a surprise dinner as he always did these past few weeks. But what he saw, didn't make his heart break. Not even a little bit.

When he saw that Natalie kiss David, his heart sank. But then he realized that he couldn't get in the way of something like that. Two people who love each other so much finally coming together and being together.

No matter how much he loved Natalie, he wanted her to finally be happy with the person she truly loved.

They were meant to be together.