Chapter 1

"Sometimes I just want to disappear and never come back."

~ Unknown

The air was stagnant in the school parking lot. Three vans filled with Falconers were near the entrance. They sat on opposite benches, facing each other, but their eyes were averted to their feet. Tranquilizer guns rested in the palms of their hands as they awaited the signal to enter. Their heavy boots softly shuffled in anticipation against the metal floor.

The rules were simple, all targets had to be taken alive. Any deviation from this would result in a full termination in every sense of the word. Their ear pieces beeped before the voice of their Scavenger Captain, Wesson, snaked through. The signal was here. They stood in unison turning towards the back doors as they opened.

Their boots stomped on the pavement, thrumming in sync as they marched towards the front entrance. Security guards opened the doors, allowing them access to everything inside. They filed in, double lines, and turned away into classrooms. Gasps erupted from each room as a Falconer stood in the doorway, calling out a name.

Student stared up in fear, unsure of whether this was a drill or the real deal. The Falconers were here. They could spot Vanishing Complex a mile away and would swoop down to retrieve you. Each student called was forced to their feet and led towards the entrance. Three Falconers stood guard at the door, eyes trained on each new ward brought to them.

Student after student showed up, crowding the once empty hallway. The Falconers continued to stand guard, towering over them with fingers over their gun's trigger. Wesson's voice came over their ear pieces: one ward left to capture.

From deep within the school, the scavenging squad finished rounding up their charges and led them toward the bigger group. A silence fell over the hallways again as Wesson walked stealthily towards the counselors office.

He glanced down at the message board on his watch. The call for retrieval had been from there. He made it to the door, and pushed it open with the tip of his tranquilizer gun. Inside was a young girl, face drenched in tears with bloodshot eyes and a running nose. He recalled the message board, Rebecca Stone: Chronic Vanishing Complex.

She looked in his direction then suddenly jumped from her seat and backed into the wall. Wesson lifted his gun, pointing it towards her neck as he slowly entered. The school counselor had shrunken in her chair, her breathing audible. Wesson glanced down at her name plate. Victoria West.

He thanked her for her service in reporting the Vanishing Complex then turned back to Rebecca. All sadness had dissolved from her eyes and had been replaced with a mixture of anger and fear.

Wesson stepped closer, one foot in front of the other as he calmly asked her to stand down. Rebecca shook her head, bracing the wall behind her. In his ear, Wesson could hear the other Falconers confirming everyone from the list had been collected. All that was left of the infection was her.

He continued inching closer, but Rebecca kept their distance constant. Ms. West stood, speaking kindly to Rebecca. All would be okay. This was for the best. This was for her protection and for the protection of others. Rebecca cut her a stare, betrayal etched in her eyes.

Ms. West pursed her lips trying again, but Rebecca wasn't listening. Instead, she was mentally measuring the distance between her and the exit. Wesson was blocking half of it, but maybe if she ran fast enough, she would be able to slip through.

Her thoughts had kept her from noticing Wesson had eliminated half the distance between them. She could almost feel his body heat nipping at her skin, or maybe it was just hers. Beads of sweat had formed on the back of her neck, and were sliding down her back.