CHAPTER THREE

WARNING: Unbeta-ed. Updates are inconsistent. Read on if you must.

It felt so good being distracted from yesterday's events.

I took my time today, just painting and letting my brush lead the way.

Sweat gathered at the tips of my brow hairs--which I wiped off--as I placed the final touches on the assignment given by the art course I attended.

Brushing a clean, smooth layer of top coat all over my canvas, my work was done.

Glancing at the aftermath of my work clearly splattered all over the shirt I wore, I sighed.

Good thing I wore one of my ratty old shirts today. I couldn't have something happen to my prized jackets and the sweaters I normally wore.

"It's finally done! Damn impressionist painters, always having to do boring-ass landscapes. Procrastinated, but it was worth it. Time to head home for the day."

As I packed my stuff up and left my painting on the easel to dry, my body unvoluntarily quivered for a bit.

The air-con wasn't on, and heat gathered inside the classroom I was at, no windows open.

I paused a bit, but it was probably nothing.

Just like yesterday was nothing too, a voice in my mind mocked me.

The halls were bare, as most students already left about an hour ago.

I usually stay behind to complete my tasks as I didn't want to do them at home. Home is for relaxing and unwinding, and I want it to stay as stress-free as possible.

I was already looking forward to another marathon.

Instead of a movie marathon, maybe I'll watch a TV series this time. Maybe Heroes would be good.

My mind distracted, I stopped by a vending machine to get some cola, when the sound of speedy steps filled the hallway.

Right after I picked up my cola, I felt a sudden pressure on my arm as I was dragged towards a wall on my right.

I blinked as my feet struggled to stay upright.

"Hey! What was that for?" Rude.

Entering my line of sight, emerald irises stared right through my eyes, beautiful, though steely and unnerving.

Those eyes belonged to a chiseled, sun-kissed face framed by a neat mop of slightly tousled raven-hued hair.

The sun on the huge window at the end of the hall fell perfectly against his figure, softly highlighting the tips of eyelashes fanned across the planes of his cheeks, as well as his contoured, sharp jaw.

He donned an army jacket with a black shirt underneath, with his hands tucked inside his pockets. Though he was hot, I wasn't exactly swooning over him after ten seconds of exposure. Besides, pretty looks without brains meant nothing to me.

Though I have to admit, it feels like he was more than just a pretty boy.

"I have to talk to you, Kassandra Lowell." his voice rumbles, low and pleasant with a slightly sharp edge to it.

Twisting the ring on my finger uncertainly, I met his gaze with one of my own.

Who was this guy, with his unusually serious demeanor and piercing green eyes? My lips were pressed thinly, alarm bells ringing through my head.

I have never seen this guy before, yet there was something familiar about him.

"Who are you and how do you know my name?"