Part 13: Trial Part 2

So, I've been gone for a while now. I don't really have an excuse for it besides starting my civil engineering degree at college and moving. It's still a bit chaotic, but I managed to finish this finally. That being said! Here's the next chapter of Dusk Falls! I hope you all enjoy the update! Cheers~

Harry's POV:

Tomorrow dawned dark with thunder shaking the sky; blinding flashes of lightening briefly illuminating the gloom. Harry thought it was an appropriate start to the day.

Despite his pleasant evening from the night before, he had woken to a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach that persisted as he went about his morning routine. Letting his gaze sweep over the storm one last time, Harry turned away to approach the others.

Outside, the deluge enveloped everything in an icy barrage and by the time they had apparated beyond the wards, they were all soaked from it despite the shielding charms they'd used. Harry shivered in his wet clothing; the warmth of the Ministry lobby doing little to warm him.

"Here, let me." Tom murmured, silently and wandlessly casting a spell to dry and warm Harry and himself. "Is that better?"

"Yeah, thanks." Harry answered, briefly smiling up at Tom as they made their way deeper inside the building.

The group had barely made it to the waiting room, however, when they were stopped by an official.

"Mr. Potter and company?" He asked politely to get the attention of their group.

"Yes?" Harry asked, hesitating in his steps and drawing closer to Tom.

"If you would follow me?" The politeness never left his voice, but a sharp smile flickered across the official's face for an instant. "Mr. Potter is called to witness today. You are the first to testify. I will lead you to the court room."

Several of the group jolted at that. Tom, beside him, went absolutely still. Then he growled, wordlessly, low in his throat. The dominate took an aggressive step towards the man. The official flinched back, his eyes widening. He lost that sharp, smug look.

"No. Harry already gave his testimony in the memories he submitted as evidence. There is absolutely no reason for him to personally testify." Tom stated flatly.

"Surely, you are mistaken?" Mrs. Malfoy exclaimed to the official. He words following closely behind Tom's. "Harry has already provided the Ministry with auror verified memories for the trial, as Lord Gaunt has stated. There is no reason to call him to personally testify."

"Be that as it may," The official was smiling again, but his eyes warily never left Tom. "He is still called before the court to testify today. Unless you would like to refuse the court's authority to call him?"

There was just the barest amount of threat in the man's voice and Harry gently grabbed Tom's sleeve. Through his empathy, and quite possibly their bond, he could feel the man's outrage. It was so strong, he didn't even need to look at Tom to feel it.

"Don't." He murmured to his mate. Louder, he spoke to the group. "I'll go, if that's what they want. I just want this to be over and done with already."

"Harry," Mrs. Malfoy started, only to be interrupted by the official rudely.

"Excellent. This way, please." The man said.

The growl Mr. Malfoy gave at man interrupting her echoed in the still corridor. He took a step into the man's space, forcing him back. "You will treat my mate with the respect due to her. Or you will find yourself stripped of your rank and without employment in short order, do you understand?"