Chapter 34

I made sure my scales were at their maximum strength. Desroche was a master of the Spirituality, but that didn't mean he knew how to defend himself. He didn't rise through the ranks of the Tower and become head of Ghanlar because of his looks. Though I'm sure in his head it's a different story.

His staff was still pointed right at my chest. It was of standard Tower design but that didn't make it any safer in his hands. Cathy's and my first goal was to remove or destroy that staff. The longer he had it, the smaller our window of advantage.

"So, is someone going to be the first to attack," Desroche asked, "because I have better things to do if we are just going to stand here?"

"I thought because of the 'unfair' advantage, you should fire first," I replied.

"Aww," he said in mock sadness. "How stupid of you."

The staff tip glowed white and I was knocked off my feet by a Pulse before I could react. The diversion had worked though, and Cathy had rushed him fast enough that he was forced to defend himself with the staff. The sound of sword clashing with staff filled the tiny room and I jumped back to my feet.

Cathy was at a disadvantage as Desroche used Pulses to keep Cathy unstable. I launched an Ice Bolt towards him and he stepped back and held his hand out. A Magic Shell covered the area around him and deflected my ice and Cathy's attack. With Cathy vulnerable, Desroche dropped the Shell, extended the staff and covered Cathy in flames.

I rushed forward, summoned a large amount of power and launched a Lightning Bolt with both hands. The current hit the staff and Desroche screamed as it jumped from the iron to his body. From the flames, Cathy emerged and kicked the staff out of his hands.

Desroche staggered back and cast the Magic Shell around him again. Cathy kept her distance and sized up the Shell, looking for a weakness. I, however, had seen enough of these at the Tower to know there was only one thing to do. I charged up and launched a Dispel. The Shell wavered and I charged up another. Before I could launch the spell, Desroche made the Shell explode, taking Cathy and I off our feet.

I jumped to my feet in time to see Desroche pick up his staff and launch a wave of ice at me. I crouched down and covered my bare head with my scaled hands. I felt the cold pile onto my scales and make my whole body stiff. The ice stopped as he turned his attention to a rushing Cathy. Desroche turned the staff towards her and a barrier appeared in front of her. Cathy ran straight into it and fell to the ground.

"Hey, kids," Desroche smiled, "want to see something they won't teach you in school?"

He extended his arm towards one of the Davalin soldiers. The rune under the soldier exploded and an electrical stream ripped out of the soldier and up Desroche's arm. His eyes glowed temporarily white before returning to normal. The lifeless soldier collapsed onto the ground and it took me all of my strength to remain focused on Desroche.

"You're possessed?" I asked.

He laughed. "Do you really think I would let a demon into my perfect mind? Being able to steal another's life force isn't the work of demons, just people willing to extend their power to extraordinary limits. Now come at me; I'm just starting to warm up."

I shot a quick look to Cathy. She looked equally worried by what she had seen. Desroche was having way too much fun toying with us. If we didn't start to turn the tables then we would be doomed when he decided playtime was over.

Cathy and I tried to get to our feet but were immediately knocked down by Desroche. "Sorry, I really should give you the chance to stand up," he chuckled. "Here." We were pulled off the ground and thrown towards him, landing on our stomachs at his feet. "Please, please, no need to bow before me." Cathy jumped up to her feet and Desroche held her in stasis. "We should play the same little game we played with your father. Wouldn't that be fun?"