Exposition and Insanity

This was a bad idea. A really, really bad idea. But what other choice did you have? You needed to escape. Not later, not tomorrow, but now. Right now. And so that's exactly what you did. Tossing the sheets aside you got onto your feet, feeling the sharp sting of the tugging stitches in your thigh. You'd have to move carefully, slowly in hopes of keeping the stitches from tearing. Unfortunately slowing down wasn't an option, God knows when those monsters would be here. For all you knew they could already be downstairs, maybe across the hall, perhaps they're already at your door.

Just in case they were, you hesitated a little, glancing around the hospital room before pressing your ear against the door. You couldn't hear anything. Was that a good or bad? Quietly you opened the door, peeking outside to see a guard leaning against the wall, his eyes on his phone, you presumed he was playing a game of sorts. Once he noticed you he quickly put the phone down, clearing his throat before giving you a stern look.

"Everythin' okay Miss?" he asked quickly.

"No. Everything is not okay." You were about to unload all your fear and frustration on this poor man. "They know where I am. Those killers, they're coming. I need to get out. I need to get somewhere safe."

"Ya sure 'bout that Miss?" the man raised an eyebrow, frowning at you, "How would they know where ya are?"

"Well..." what were you supposed to say? A crazy clown got you to spill the beans through a dream? As if they'd believe that. Heck, even you didn't entirely believe it. "You're right. It was all a bad dream probably. Can I... can I go to the washroom? Clear my head?"

"Yeah, whatever." He waved at you dismissingly, turning his attention to his phone as you walked by. He didn't seem all that interested in keeping you safe, and perhaps that was all the encouragement you needed. Turning the corner, you walked past the washroom, your eyes locking on the two massive double doors that signalled the stairwell. You placed one hand against the door, your mind freezing for a second as you took in the sight of your severed finger. Fingers don't grow back, and that one mark would be a constant reminder of everything you had been through. It would always be there, always haunting you.

You tried to shake the thoughts away, pushing your hand against the door. It didn't budge. This confused you, you were certain these doors didn't come with a lock. Deciding you weren't trying hard enough, you pushed the door harder, putting all your physical energy into it. It didn't move an inch. Maybe you could find another way out. Quickly you turned around, all the blood draining from your body as you came eye to eye with the very man that tormented you only moments ago.

He was real. Far too real for you liking.

He sat back on the floor, his head propped on one hand as he smiled that dazzling smile. You also noticed how the hallway had suddenly darkened, the lights going off one by one with only the one above you remaining. Quite dramatic really, it seemed like something straight out of a horror movie. One of those really cliché, cheesy scenes that would make you laugh. Who knew in reality they were so gosh darn unsettling.

"You're prettier in person doll."

Ah, that voice. There was no doubt in your mind, it was the very clown from your dream. What had he called himself? Jack?

"You aren't." was your witty reply, your eyes were on him, steady and calm while your mind raced at a hundred miles per hour.

"Such rudeness." He stood up now, and once again you were reminded of how tall he was, his body towering over yours. "And may I add, disobedient. I'm quite certain I asked you to stay put, and here you are planning such a daring escape? It won't be long now, the boys are almost here."

"I'll tell you what I told them, I don't know anything about Claire." Surprisingly you weren't as terrified as you expected to be. Perhaps being scared all the time could make a person numb to the emotion. Then again you were a little fearful, but not by all that much.