11

You were absolutely and utterly terrified as Toby and you followed the blonde boy, Ben, down the stairs. Claire showing up so soon wasn't part of the plan. You needed more time with Toby. For now, you could only hope the little time you had with him was enough, but you doubted that. So, with a heavy heart, you began to ease yourself into the idea of dying. It wouldn't be so bad. Everyone dies, it's bound to happen. Doesn't mean it's the end though. Surely death isn't the end. There's probably an entire afterlife waiting for you, hopefully, heaven. Even if that isn't real, maybe recreation will be. Yeah, past lives are totally a thing, maybe you'll be born again. Maybe even that isn't real, perhaps there's nothing after death. But is that so bad? Eternal peace and quiet didn't sound too awful. You wouldn't care after all, you'd be too dead to care.

At the bottom of the stairs was the ominous lounge you had passed by so many times. It looked like a very old, dusty, Victorian style living room, fitted with large, torn red couches, and dark, cracked, wooden tables. Spread amongst the large, unkempt room were all the monsters you had come to know, all except for the oh-so-scary boss you had heard so much about. However, taking account of all the killers you did recognize left you with more scary thoughts. Sure, you could convince yourself that dying isn't the worst thing in the world, but had you considered how you'd die?

It would be long and painful. You recognized the murderous glee in Jeff's eyes, along with other intentions that you couldn't stomach at the moment. The clown was also there, leaning against a couch and grinning at you venomously. The masked and hooded duo were in the corner, their glares conveying their aggression. At least the doctor man seemed nonchalant enough, however, in the light, you found yourself disgusted at the goo that trickled down his empty sockets. Something about not judging people on their looks came to mind, but honestly, that was a little too much.

Then there was the elf boy, Ben, who cheerfully plopped down on the couch, looking like a boy eager to get on with the show. Your only sense of security was Toby, who stood right behind you as you shrunk back into him. You vaguely recalled how he'd talk about duty. Would he do his duty here too? Do nothing as his leader sentenced you to death? You were on the verge of breaking down when you swallowed your fears and tried to stand a little taller. You were dying tonight, no point in spending your last minutes on this earth as a weeping, trembling mess.

Finally, you turned your head to the center of the room, your eyes widening a little as you took in Claire's bold form. Her blonde hair was a mess around her head, her brown eyes darting around as she failed to maintain an aura of confidence. She wore a ruffled, dirty little suit as if she was attending some business meeting. You stared at her for a while longer, but she didn't look back, her eyes steadily trained on Jeff- who was now glaring back directly at her too. You suddenly felt yourself shudder, a shrill wind blew across the room, rustling some of the furniture as all the monsters took note of it.

"T-time to begin," it was Toby that spoke, and it was no secret that he was the authority in the room right now. He gave you a little nudge and you took a few uneasy steps deeper into the living room. You were now only a meter away from the couch filled with killers (which was kind of humorous in a strange way).

"Tell him I-

"He's listening." Toby interrupted Claire as she began speaking. She quickly nodded at that, clearing her throat before beginning again.

"I..." she stiffened up for a moment, her gaze on the floor. "The emails will be sent to every police station in the U.S.  in an hour. I have a code that will stop it," she held up her phone, giving it a little shake "so if you kill me right now... well, everyone knows your secrets. This email resets every day... so I have to type the code in every day or else. Yeah, that happens."