Sick

Shortly after our first date, even before our second date, Mathias came down with a terrible fever that had him bedridden for a week. It wasn't high enough to be put in a hospital, but he felt absolutely terrible.

I visited him every day for the week, making sure he was doing alright, because his parents were out of town. It took some serious convincing to get my parents to go visit him, but it all worked out in the end.

I knocked on the door lightly on the first day, he told me to come in so quietly that I almost didn't hear him say it.

His room was an average size, but it was very cluttered. Clothes were scattered on the floor, notebooks scattered on all the various surfaces. I even spotted a guitar in the corner of the room, which wasn't surprising, considering his music taste. The walls were a dull gray color, but they were brightened by posters and papers which contained various things, like checklists, quotes done in fancy fonts, calenders, one even had a bucket list on it. It's odd how much our living quarters display our true personalitites.

"Hi, Matt," I greeted cautiously. I had never called him Matt before, but it seemed like a good idea to me. It fit him well.

"Matt? I thought I ditched that name in fourth grade," he replied hoarsely. That was a stupid idea, the cruel part of my brain commented.

"Sorry, I-" I began to formulate a lame excuse, but he cut me off.

"Don't worry. You can call me Matt. I kinda like it when you call me that." I grinned. That was a relationship advancement I wasn't expecting. Nicknames I pondered the thought silently as I walked slightly closer to his bed.

"Nicknames? Already? I thought that didn't come until after the second date," I remarked, a smile playing at my lips. He chuckled slightly, almost sounding more like a rough exhale than a laugh.

"I think we can make an exception, don't you?" I avoided eye contact with him, feeling a blush rise into my cheeks. I could not be embarrassed around a boy. It's just not right.

"I brought you a book," I reached into my pin decorated bag and pulled out Across the Universe. It used to be my favorite book, but now it just sat on my bookshelf at home. I handed it to him, and he examined the book closely.

"Sci-fi huh? You don't cross me as the type." I tilted my head. That's not what I was expecting.

"How so?"

"I don't know. There's just a certain set of characteristics that I associate with people who read sci-fi, and you just dont meet those expectations."

"So I'm not good enough for sci-fi?"

"No, it's just-you know what I mean." He was slightly frustrated, so I just nodded and agreed. It probably wasn't good to mess with someone when they're sick. It always seems that people are more fragile when they're physically incapable.

"I do know what you mean. That actually used to be my favorite book." I didn't really know where I was leading this conversation, but it felt comfortable, so I rolled with it.

"Your favorite book? Well then, it must be incredible." If anyone else in the world had told me that I would've been insulted, but his grin and his sarcastic tone made me melt inside. And it must've shown on my face, considering his next words. "Eira Lenson, did I-could I have embarrassed the great and powerful Eira?" His expression was mock surprise.

"If you were my brother you would be so bruised and scarred that you wouldn't be recognizable."

"Then I am very thankful I am not your brother." I laughed at him and then left.