Chapter 5

"You're Murphy, right?" I said walking up to Murphy. "What's it to you Princess." He glares at me. "You should start making more weapons like spears, arrows and bows, knives. Things we can hunt with. "I don't take orders from you." He sneers at me. "Well we need to eat, so we will need to go hunting, and since you are already making a knife I figured you could manage. But, if you can't, it's cool, I'm sure someone else could do it." I said and walk away. Murphy is a touchy personality. I figure if I get on his good side maybe things between him and I could be different this time. However, I'm going to have to get him to lose some of the attitude before we can truly get anywhere.

"Wait Clarke, we need to head for Mt. Weather." Wells says jogging up behind me. "No, that is 100-year-old dream and there isn't a guarantee there is anything there. Besides, you see that mountain over there. That is Mt. Weather. They dropped us on the wrong mountain and it's a 20-mile trek. We can do more here by learning our surroundings then waste time going to a place that might not be there. We need hunting weapons, water, a fence around camp, and tents for us to sleep in. We have a lot of work to do and there isn't a lot of day light left today. I suggest we get busy." I turn around and realize everybody is watching me. "I suggest we divide into teams. We need one for water, weapons, fence, and tents." I say to the crowd. "What, you think you're in charge here, Princess?" Bellamy asks. I just look at him. "You think care who's in charge? We need to get these things done because the longer we wait the hungrier and thirsty we will get and the harder this'll be. How long do you think we'll last without food, water, and shelter? This is basic Earth skills which you should already know." I said to him. "Murphy is already making weapons people, start helping him. I'm going to look for water and start hunting. Since you have a gun join me." I turn to the rest and raise my voice. "Everybody else start divvying up the jobs and get to work. Rations will be small starting out but here is the 1st rule. If you don't work, you don't eat.
We will need everybody to pitch in and help if we want to survive."

Murphy do you have a weapon yet that I can use. He hands me a spear and gets back to work. Octavia runs up to me. "I'm going to." "Great find something that will carry water." I told her. I walk toward Charlotte. "What is your name?" I ask her. "I'm Charlotte." "You want to come with me?" She nods her head emphatically. I turn and bump into Finn. I see a huge gash in his wrist band. "Are you trying to take this off?" "Yeah. So?" "So, this wristband transmits your vital signs to the Ark. Take it off, and they'll think you're dead." "Should I care?" "I don't know, do you want the people you love to think your dead? Do you want them to follow you down here in two months? Because they won't if they think we're dying."

I didn't realize Bellamy was so close to me when I said that and looking at him I can see the wheels turning. He told me he wasn't going with us, he wanted to work on the fence but I knew he was going to do everything he could to get those wrist bands. I just had to stop him this time. I wouldn't stop him from taking them all but it won't be like last time. I will bring back dinner and I won't make them take off the bands before they can eat like he did the last time. I look around the camp and it looks like everyone took my speech to heart. Everybody is working. In the end it was Finn, Jasper, Monty, Octavia, Charlotte, and I on the water/hunting crew. I feel like I was cheating. I knew where the water was, I just had to pretend to stumble upon it. Easy. Finding dinner was going to be a bit more difficult. These people have no clue how to walk in the forest and no animal is going to stick around when they hear all the noise coming at them.

As we start walking out of camp Bellamy grabs his sisters' arm. "I don't think so. You not going anywhere."

"Yes, I am. I need to do something a little crazy just because I can. I'm on the ground now Bellamy and I will pull my weight. Also, I'm no hiding anymore. I want to be free to live my life the way I want not the way someone else dictates I should. That means I have to learn how to take care of myself."

"Octavia, I came down here to look out for you."

"But I don't need you to do that big brother. I'm not a child and I don't have to hide anymore. I need you to be my brother not my father. I need space to live and not feel like I'm in chains. So, I'm going." She turns and follows us out of camp.