The Dance

Arley and Delta, along with the other students that'd be joining them, stirred an hour after faking their slumber. Earlier, when Shasti was asked whether she wanted to come along, she'd told Delta that she wouldn't involve herself.

"I can't."

Delta knew it had to be out of fear of what her punishment would be for sneaking out. Aside from Shasti, a kid (who'd chosen to stay at the school), agreed to assist Arley, Delta and the others in their mission.

The six students crept down the hallways until they'd reached a door, the walls connected to it surrounding one of the faculty rooms.

"You're all so stupid, you know that? The Headmaster is gonna be so fucking peeved," commented their comrade as he approached the wall.

"We'll be back before then," Delta told him in a hushed tone. "Right?"

"We better be," one of them added.

"Whatever you say." He pushed himself into the wall, vanishing gradually as he phased through it.

Said comrade returned to the gaggle, nodding to a student that stood among them. Closing her eyes, her brows furrowed as she focused her energy on the orderly in the room before them.

"Uh... what does that do?" said the one other student there, quizzical.

"I've induced sleep into the two orderlies in there, but not the others that may be in the rest of the school. We must be careful."

The moderately cool guy that'd phased through the wall had left, retreating to the room where the other students remained asleep. Before he left, he said, "...most of the cameras were already offline when I went in there. Good luck."

Arley had known that they'd be offline and why exactly they would be, but Arley decided to keep that fact to himself, just to keep the readers in suspense.

***

That was easy. Too easy, Delta told herself. The odds must've not been against them, just for this one night. How could that be? It couldn't be Arley's luck.

The gaggle waited at the side of the road that lead to the school, Arley and Delta in the store that opposed the roadside.

Arley erupted from the changing room. "How do I look, Delta?"

"You're seriously wearing running shoes with that dress?"

"Yes, I am, Delta."

The two had left the store, the five of them collectively making their way towards the school. Before they'd set off, a student that tagged along had formed individual pairs of roller skates with his hands, dividing them among the group. Wide-eyed, the group watched him as he proceeded to shape-shift into a cat. Though, it wasn't the disgusting, drawn out transformation they expected. He was a little cat.

He meowed.

Arley cradled him, the five of them sliding down the road.