A Drop In The Ocean

It was 10:17 PM.

The orderly that had stopped Arley and Delta from their flee sat them in two chairs, the restraints tightening on their arms and wrists. The crowd of students watched, a vast majority of them clearly drowsy. The Headmaster stood in front of the both of them, facing the audience.

A lesson to be taught and learned.

The Headmaster made the sea of students aware of Arley and Delta's insolence. The students that'd come along to the prom weren't in the room - they had to be serving detention or were being held captive in solitary confinement, Arley guessed.

Very little to no orderlies were there - only one that kept dozing off in the back of the room and the orderly that had caught Arley and his legion. The Headmaster pointed at her, the orderly, who held Arley's backpack. She dumped all of his belongings out from the bag, then proceeding to do the same with Delta's. Arley's contained pencils, a sketchbook and unsurprisingly, a plush toy that illustrated Deadpool riding a unicorn, along with a Sailor Moon figurine and a Sailor Moon wristwatch. Mountains of pens and a minuscule, red-and-white haired anime boy tumbled out from Delta's.

Delta's eyes scanned the crowd. She blinked, her vision revealing Shasti. She squinted. Shasti had been crying. Her face was red, her eyes puffy. The Headmaster hurt her. An immense, pure hatred had met with Delta. She gritted her teeth; she could do nothing to help it, nothing at all.

Still facing away from Delta and Arley, the Headmaster lectured the seated students, the orderly situating a collar upon Delta and Arley. Strangely, the orderly had hesitated to - her movements were near excruciatingly slow, unhurried.

Softly, nearing soundless, the orderly whispered to Arley. Delta set her eyes on them briefly, wondering what the orderly could have possibly told him. Is she on our side? No, that's impossible. She's a fucking orderly. Why would she ever want to help us?

How can I get us out of this situation? An idea had sparked in Delta's mind. If she were a cartoon character, a bright light bulb would've appeared above her head.

The Headmaster's lecture went on. Delta took the opportunity, as the Headmaster was paying absolutely no attention to her nor Arley.

With all the strength she could muster, Delta caused herself to lose what physicality she had. Water consumed her entirely, drop-by-drop, until she had fully transformed herself into water. She slipped out from the shock collar's grip, including the hold that the chair's restraints had on her.

The students whispered among themselves; oodles of them exclaimed their astonishment, some others speechless.

Delta stood behind the Headmaster, solidifying her form. She looked normal again. From the palms of her hands, she summoned as much water as she could handle.

"Silence!" The Headmaster said. Then once more, he rose his voice. "Silence! What-"

An ocean of water had soaked the Headmaster at that moment, along with the orderly that was sleeping in the back of the room, leaned against the wall. In exiguous amounts, the water splashed onto the sitting students.

The room erupted with a joyous, rib-splitting laughter. The small number of students that hadn't laughed were grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"I'll take it from here," the female orderly had told the Headmaster, walking Arley and Delta out of the room. As they exited, the Headmaster silenced the students' uproar with a shout, his strident voice carrying through the walls.

Darkness consumed Delta and Arley. The two of them were shoved into the darkening room that was solitary confinement, both Delta and Arley locked into separate spaces.

After what seemed like an hour or so, a tiny knock bounced off of the door that stood before Delta, the knock worming into her ears. She heard the voice of the orderly from the dance.

"Delta?"

"What do you want?" Delta snapped.

"I'm not who you think I am," she went on, pausing before she'd continued, "I am an agent of an intergovernmental force. I work with Chemical X. I and two other agents were assigned to this case, see what this school was really about."

Delta's heart sprung out of her chest. "So... are you like, a superhero?"

She didn't speak for a split nanosecond. Then, she chuckled. "If you think I am."

"I've been working at a sure-fire way to help the students here," she resumed, "and to expose the school for what it really is. I'll need some help from the students here to do that."

The undercover orderly told Delta that both she and Arley stood out in particular, including a few other students here.

"We leave tomorrow, in the evening. Security will be tighter at night," added the agent.

"...I understand." Delta spun, laying on her back.

The agent left, leaving Delta in the ill-lit box that was solitary confinement.