Chapter Six

The next day, there was very little going on at the boardinghouse, so Margret choose to stay indoors instead of traipsing through the woods or wandering around town. Instead, she decided to take more time to explore the house itself. It was already looking different than it had when she first arrived, and she took a short moment to admire the fact that Caroline and Alaric were getting things done that quickly; she personally found it a little impressive. 

 While poking around, Margret found what looked to be a library in progress. There were several shelves that weren't all filled yet, and boxes filled with books, many of which looked quite old. She had the feeling something important was being set up here, that it wasn't just any old library. 

 "Margret?" 

 Margret turned around. Caroline was standing behind her, giving her an inquisitive look. 

 "I see you found our library," she said. "Well, library-in-progress. This room is going to be the Stefan Salvatore Memorial Library. I wanted...I wanted to have something here in the school specifically dedicated to Stefan's memory. I thought maybe a library would be nice." 

 Margret nodded. "I think he would have liked the idea. You're doing good here, you know. I imagine once you open, you'll be able to find plenty of students who could find a place here." 

 "Well, that's the idea. Let's hope it works." 

 "I think it will," Margret assured her. 

 Caroline smiled. "Um, so I was going to go grocery shopping, and I'm taking the girls with me. I thought I would ask if you wanted to come with us, but it seems kind of like a stupid question now." 

 "I don't think so," said Margret. "I wouldn't mind going out with you and your daughters at all." 

 "Oh. Okay. That's great. I'm going to go get the girls, so...I'll meet you out at the car." 

 Margret went out to Caroline's car. Finding it was locked, she leaned against the passenger door and waited for Caroline to come out. She was curious to know what it would be like going out with Caroline and her daughters. Maybe it would turn out to be something she'd want to do more often. 

 When Caroline came out the house holding each girl by the hand, Josie looked up at Margret and asked, "Are you coming with us?" 

 "I am," Margret answered. "I'm going to help you and your mom out today. I think we could all have fun together, right?"

 Josie shrugged. "I guess so." 

 "Come on, in your seats," Caroline said after unlocking the car. 

 On the drive there, Margret was first asked this from the backseat: "How long are you going to live with us?" 

 "I don't think it'll be for too much longer," Margret answered with an amused smile. "I think your parents will have to kick me out once it's a school. I think I'm too old to be going to school with you girls." 

 "How old are you?"

 "Quite old, I'm afraid. Much older than I look."

 "Your voice has a funny sound to it." 

 "Lizzie!" Caroline sounded horrified by her daughter's rudeness. "That is rude, you know."

 "Well, your mother is right about that, Lizzie," said Margret. "But I know my accent can still come out a bit. It's because of where I'm from." 

 "Where are you from?" Lizzie asked. 

 "I'm Dutch. I grew up in a small country in Europe called The Netherlands. That's what it's called these days, but it also used to called Holland more commonly." 

 "I didn't know you were Dutch," Caroline said. "I mean, I heard an accent, but I thought you would have mentioned where you're from." 

 "Oh. I guess I should have. Well, I haven't been there in years, so it didn't occur to me." 

 "Hmm. I guess there's still some stuff I don't know about you, then, huh?" 

 Margret didn't give her an answer, but she began to think. She realized she had hardly told Caroline anything about herself since her arrival. There were things Caroline had yet to find out about her.