Chapter Seven

While in the grocery store, Josie and Lizzie Saltzman were mainly distracted by the shopping, so Margret was able to avoid any more questions. She was thankful for that; while she did like the children, she didn't like having to answer so many questions about herself. 

 On the drive home, Margret heard one of them ask, "Are you a teacher? You could teach at the new school." 

 "No, I've never been a teacher," she answered. "I don't think I really have what it takes. I'm sure you'll have some nice teachers, though." 

 "Well, I think you're nice." 

 Margret smiled. "Thank you. It's nice to hear that." 

 When they pulled up at the boardinghouse, Caroline took the girls out of the car and Margret helped her get the groceries out of the trunk. 

 "Girls, why don't you go find Daddy?" Caroline said to them. "Tell him I got plenty of food." 

 As Josie and Lizzie ran off calling for their father, Margret helped Caroline carry the groceries to the kitchen. 

 "So, how old are you?" Caroline asked as they began to put everything away. "For real."

 "A few hundred years. I've been around for a while." 

 "Oh. So, how did you meet Stefan? You never said." 

 "It wasn't long after he became a vampire," said Margret. "I already knew Lexi Branson, and she found Stefan when he was having trouble coping with being a vampire. She had already helped me with a few issues, and I helped her out with Stefan. He could get himself into some really bad times." 

 "Tell me about it. Once I turned off my humanity, and he and I wound up on a killing spree together." 

 Margret paused and looked over at her. "You? Really?" 

 "Yeah. It was after my mom died, and I didn't know what to do with myself. So, I wound up going to the dark side for a while. So did Stefan. We both got snapped out of it eventually, though. Thankfully, we got to have a real relationship later on." She sighed. "That wasn't always good, either." 

 It was hearing things like that which Margret feel guilty about how she felt towards Caroline. She obviously wasn't over Stefan yet; she would probably have no romantic interest in Margret. She was probably only interested in her because she was once friends with Stefan. 

 "I think I'm going to go out for a little while," she said, closing a cabinet. "If you need any help with dinner later, I'll be glad to help you." 

 Margret left the kitchen before Caroline could say anything. She was angry with herself for the way she was thinking. What right did she have to be upset or jealous over this? This was Stefan's widow, a woman he loved enough to vow to spend the rest of his life with her. But then he left her behind. It was for a noble cause, but he still left a grieving wife behind. 

 "Margret?" 

 Alaric Saltzman had come down the hallway and stopped when he saw her standing there. 

 "Are you okay?" he asked. 

 She nodded. "Yes. I'm fine. I think I should just go outside."

 "Hold on a minute." He grabbed her gently by the arm. "Josie and Lizzie were just telling me about you. They say you went shopping with them and Caroline earlier, and you told them you're Dutch and very old, and you wouldn't be a good teacher." 

 She gave him a weak smile. "Well, the first two are true, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be very good at teaching anything, so your daughters were right about that one."

 "But that's the most I've heard about you since you showed up. I don't know anything about you, Margret, except that you used to be friends with Stefan." 

 She shrugged. "I don't like talking about myself. And besides, if you wanted to know about me, you should have asked me. I haven't seen much of you." 

 "Because I've been busy with fixing up this place. I just want to know that Caroline and our daughters aren't in any danger. Is Margret Janssen even your real name?" 

 She shook her head. "No, as a matter of fact, it isn't. Not quite." 

 "It isn't?" 

 Margret turned around. Caroline was standing behind them, giving Margret a look of disbelief. 

 "No." She looked back at Alaric. "Can I speak with Caroline alone?" 

 Alaric was probably about to protest, but Caroline said, "It's okay, Alaric. We can go outside." She gave Margret a glare. "I'd like to know who you really are."