Chapter Nine

Margret spent the night awake in her room. She knew she wouldn't be sticking around any longer. She had thought she might stick around for the opening of the boarding school, but now she thought it would be too awkward for both her and Caroline. 

 She wished things could be different. She wished things were less awkward. She wished Caroline liked her back. She wished quite a few things, but knew none of them were going to happen. 

 Now there was the question of what she was going to do next. She would probably leave in the morning. She considered just leaving during the night and leaving Caroline a note to say goodbye, but soon decided against it. That was a coward's way of doing things. Margret had to say goodbye to Caroline face-to-face, awkward or not. 

 By the end of the night, she felt incredibly silly about kissing Caroline the way she had. Why on Earth did she even do it? She must have been very caught up in the moment they were having to do something like that. But after keeping herself guarded and secure for a long time, maybe it high time she did something spontaneous and silly based on whatever emotions she was feeling. Maybe she had earned it, she thought. 

~~~~~~ 

 The next morning, Caroline entered the kitchen to find Margret making breakfast. 

 "I didn't realize you cooked," she said. 

 "Caroline, I used to be a eighteenth-century housewife. I could never have gotten away with not being able to cook. Besides, I thought it would be nice to cook everyone a nice meal before I go." 

 "Go?" Caroline repeated. "Where are you going?"

 "I don't know yet. I'm sure I'll find a place." She put down the spatula she was holding. "Lexi used to call me her Miss Margret. Whenever she would meet up, she'd say, 'Well, Miss Margret, what have you been up to this time?'" She smiled wistfully. "I need to have a new start. I've faced the fact that I may never have friends like Lexi and Stefan again. I'll be honest: I've grown very fond of you since I showed up here, Caroline. I know I haven't been here long at all, but it's true." 

 Caroline sighed. "Margret, we-" 

 "Can't have something. I know, and I understand." She turned off the stove. "Well, breakfast is done. I think I should be going." She hugged and Caroline and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek. "Goodbye, Caroline. I left a paper with my phone number on the counter over there in case you ever want to get in touch." 

 She walked out of the kitchen, leaving Caroline standing alone. She picked up her bag, which she had left in the hallway by the door, and walked out the front door. 

 Just keep on walking, Margret told herself. Keep on going, and it'll be easier as you go. 

~~~~~~ 

  I have decided to write a sequel to this book. It's called Healing Hearts, takes place before and during season five of The Originals, and features a new love interest for Margret. If you like Margret, I would appreciate it if you would check out the next book.