Kylie

I was bored. I'd been sitting around the house all day, only really moving when my mother gave me the occasional task. So, I'd only moved from my bed or the couch between picking up pairs of shoes I'd left by the door, hanging a stray coat, and picking up my room. I hated having my best friend be across the world, not only did I miss her like crazy but it also meant my agenda was lacking the fun and spontaneous plans me and Alexis would work up during the summers.

Of course, I had other friends, but not close ones like Alexis. Besides, most of them were either traveling as well or hanging out with their other friends and boyfriends. Maybe I could go out to the beach? That was one of me and Alexis' favorite spots to hit when summer boredom set in, and always left me feeling a sense of happiness. We always ended up half asleep on the car ride home, with our hair in salty waves and our skin slightly warmed with the sunburn that was unavoidable from the hot sun, sand, and sea.

Maybe one or two of the guys would come with? I knew that my relationship with them may be a little awkward now that Jordan and I were no longer together, but Alex hadn't seemed to be acting differently towards me when I saw him I the parking lot right after the breakup. He had always been the one out of Jordan's group that was sweet and a little more quiet. He might like to come with me.

So, I typed out a quick text, hoping that would he accept it wouldn't be weird between us. We'd hung out alone a few times before, but that was all before or during me and Jordan's relationship.

Before my thoughts could continue down a rabbit hole, my phone buzzes with a reply from Alex.

Alex: I'm down! I'll pick you up in 45 mins, and you better be as hungry as I am rn, because my first stop will have to be the pizza place on the boardwalk.

I smiled, those boys and their food. Although, my stomach was grumbling a bit so I sent him a thumbs up to confirm our plan.

Okay, now to check with my parents and start getting ready.

*****

My mother didn't mind the plan, she was happy that I seemed to be getting over my weird emotional week, and that I had found someone to go out with and have some fun.

"Just be home before 8:30!" She called out as I was on my way back upstairs, "your brother comes home tonight and we want you to spend some time with him too while he's here."

"Okay mom, will do!" I called out in response. My brother was going to be a junior in college, making him 4 years older than me, though it also meant that we didn't see him home much anymore. He now spent the summers doing internships, working, or doing summer classes to make sure he stayed on track to graduate o time. He'd switched his major a couple times, so he had a few credits to fill in this summer.

Back in my bedroom, I took out my favorite swimsuit, put my long hair into a braid to keep it under control, and put a sundress on over my suit. I dusted on a light layer of makeup, only applying some concealer under my eyes and on my red spots, and curled my lashes with a sweep of clear mascara.

Feeling ready, I checked my phone to see that Alex would arrive in about 5 mins. So, I went back downstairs to grab a towel, and to dig my flip flops out of the pile of shoes in the downstairs closet.

Maybe another project for me this summer should be to go through my shoes. Having a foot that stopped growing around 7th grade meant that I had amassed quite the collection. But, the sparkly converse and multicolor vans I used to wear weren't really my style anymore— though they were quite the trend in middle school. I went to a private school with a uniform in middle school, so the only unique part of our outfits could be our shoes.