Chapter 4

To be a king and wear a crown is a thing more glorious to them that see it than it is pleasant to them that bear it. - Elizabeth I

Sera's POV

I admit... I made a mistake. I let a total stranger take me out to lunch without my guards. This wins the award for "most idiotic thing I've ever done in my life." 

"I hear this place has great drinks!" John says running ahead to a small cafe called "Woaba Boba." I try to catch up to him but this dress is too long for me to run in. John stops and looks at my clothes. 

"How can you wear those clothes all the time? Aren't they uncomfortable?" he asks. Answer: YES. This dress is extremely itchy and I can hardly breathe in it. "Only slightly." I say. 

John points to a tailor's shop and says "They'll have better clothes there." I stop him from walking in. "Do really expect me to wear something else? Imagine what Elaine would say!" I say. 

Elaine is the Countess of Wellston and occasionally, the royal healer. She is constantly hovering over me under Arlo's orders. She would freak if I went back to castle in casual clothes. As funny as seeing her have a panic attack over a dress is, I don't want to disappoint her. 

"What happened to that rebellious spirit you had a few minutes ago?" John teases. "Besides, do really want to wear that all day?"

I have to admit it, he has a point. I reluctantly go into the shop and pick out some clothes. I pick out a simple black t-shirt and a purple skirt. I keep my cape and crown on. 

"You look great!" John says giving me a thumbs up when I walk out of the shop. For some reason, I blush when he says it. "Thanks. Now, this drink place better be good." I say quickly to change to the topic. 

As we cross the road, I notice that all the peasant's eyes are on me and John. For the first time, it didn't bother me. 

We are about to walk in when I realize I left my dress at the tailior's shop. "I'll be right back!" I call out to John as I walk back into the shop. Then I put the dress in a shopping bag and head out of the shop. 

Of course, I see John arguing with some commoners outside Wobba Bobba. I leave for one minute and already found himself in trouble. 

One of the commoners had mint colored hair pulled back in burettes, and the other had blonde hair in pigtails. "Who do you think you are!" yelled the blonde. "How dare you but into our conversation like that!" With that, the blonde uses her ability to knock John into a wall. Yet, somehow he didn't seem fazed the slightest. 

"You two should stop talking about others and worry about yourselves." John says. "You must be joking! We can talk about whoever we want!" Minty snaps. "A cripple like you should learn to keep your mouth shut!"

John's a cripple? He seems surprisingly confident for a guy without an ability. "Seraphina just snapped at someone over cake! It's only natural for us to discuss it!" Minty yells. "I can't believe she calls herself Queen." Blondie chimes in. 

Am I really that bad? "Shut up! You're wrong! You have no right to judge her!" John shouts. Wait... is he... defending me? "Who cares if she's not perfect! She twice the person you will ever be! All you two do is gossip and complain all day!"

"SHUT UP ALREADY!" Minty yells and punches John in the face. "Blah blah blah. Whoever asked for your opinion loser!" Blondie shouts. Minty kneels so she is eye to eye with John. "You're useless. You're just a waste of space." Minty chides. 

I can't hold myself back any longer. I rush forward and slam Minty's forehead into a wall. She immediately becomes unconscious. "EEK!" The blondie shrieks. She quickly gets down on her knees and bows. 

"I'M SO SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN TO HURT HIM! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!" she shrieks. I roll my eyes. "After what you just said about me? Fat chance! Get lost." I say. The blonde girl quickly gets up and runs away, leaving her friend behind. 

I turn to John and help him up. "Umm... Thanks." John says. 

"No, Thank you." I say and walk into the cafe with a newfound sense of confidence.