Mia Hernandez

7/30/19

I needed a name for my son. I traveled to Mrs. Stanes with my baby swaddled to my chest. She must have known we were coming because she opened the door right when I was readying to knock. She smiled so brightly the light radiating from her presence woke my son. He stared at her with his piercing auburn gold eyes. When she asked me, what brought me I told her I needed a name, she led me outside to the grassy hill, sat me upon the firm earth, and told me to ask the forest. I closed my eyes letting the wind caress my face. Halfway through the silence my baby gets hungry and talks in his gibberish. I’m filled with warmth and feed him from my breast. That’s when I hear the forest speak in a quiet whisper of a language, and my baby boy giggles smiling. I knew what I’d name him.

8/10/19

Bea has found me. She came pounding on the door early in the morning scaring me and Jazis. This is the first time he’s cried. I held on tight to him as I opened the door and there she was fury, hurt, and then she cast her eyes down and it was pure shock. “Whose baby is that?” She asked. “Mine”. Bea’s eyes watered, and she motioned to Jay’s hair. “He’s a redhead?” I shrugged at her. I bounced Jazis in my arms trying to calm his fussy outbreak and I told her I guess I had red hair alleles. She cried and laughed.

8/12/19

Bea has invited me to lunch. She’s staying in the local inn with Rosy, my goddaughter, and Max. We agree to take the kids. “So, who’s the father?” Bea asked me. I ran my fingers through Jay’s hair feeling my nerves blaze on fire. I try humming to him to see if that’ll calm my jittery limbs. He has no father, he was just conceived you, idiot. I don’t say that, but I sure wish I did. “But the doctors.” She said. The doctors were wrong. I can tell she doesn’t believe Jay is my biological son. I don’t need to explain myself or the magic of the forest.

1/25/20

He walks now. My little boy walks. He’s been so giggly and bright full of radiant light-energy. His hair has gotten longer, and it’s a ton of work, but I can’t get myself to cut it. Plus, he’d have a whole fit, he adores his hair and when I play in it.