9. Scars

HIS ALARM WENT OFF, AND HE SHOT UP OUT OF BED IN A COLD SWEAT.

The night before anything good was supposed to happen, some vivid dream or memory always ruined his morning. This time it was about Ezekiel, his best friend from New York, the now second-year college student, who ruined his last few months in New York.

Jericho rolled out of bed at noon, and lucky for Joseph, he wasn't that sore anymore, and the limp was barely noticeable now. He texted Angelica that he was getting ready, and she responded around five minutes later that she'd be at his house in 20.

Joseph had texted him back a few hours ago: 'It'll just have to come inside next time then won't it?' With one of those stupid winking emojis and he regretted even messaging him last night, honestly, what did he expect.

He showered, did his hair, and got dressed in fifteen; it was cold outside, so he put on some ripped black dad jeans, black cable-knit sweater, and his 1's. He checked his appearance in the foyer mirror for the fourth time in the last three minutes before Angelica pulled into his driveway and honked her horn.

Grabbing his house keys and phone, locking the door behind him before walking toward her lipstick red Volkswagen Beetle, and got in the passenger seat.

"Is Cade coming?"

She looked at him weirdly as he put his seatbelt on and adjusted it.

"He's allergic to fish, remember?"

Angel put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway.

"Noted."

Cade didn't talk to him much outside of school so no, he didn't remember. He mumbled to himself. They were on the main road in record time because she never drives the speed limit but somehow hasn't received a ticket or been pulled over.

She played a k-pop band during the ride, Red Velvet, and sang along to the songs that played. The time it took to get to the restaurant was cut in half, but there was still a line wrapped around the building.

'Cafe Sushi' was printed in kanji with the English translation underneath it. The architecture was modern, and the colors were pretty neutral on the outside cream, brown, and black.

When he looked through the window to see the interior, it was very "mid-century" Japan. They were waiting in line for at least twenty minutes before they could be seated and another ten to be served. He told Angelica what he wanted and asked her to order for him if the server came while he was in the bathroom.

A few minutes later, he exited and saw their drinks on the table already, and she was finishing their order. Their server was an Asian guy in his 20's and a little taller than him. He sat down when he left and took a sip of his iced matcha.

"Who was that? He wasn't wearing a uniform or anything."

Angelica stopped eyeballing him when he spoke up. "You should see him up close," she bit her lip "he's cute, asked about you, though. He mentioned he was one of the managers, so I'm not sure why he's bussing tables. Know him?"

Jericho shook his head, "I didn't get a good look at him so I don't know. And, maybe they're just understaffed. There's still a line outside and everything."

A different server eventually came to give them their sushi, and the wait was worth it. They talked about school, Joseph, and other random topics until they finished eating. Jericho excused himself to the men's room again, and Angelica said she'd wait for him in the car this time.

He walked into the bathroom while their original server did; The guy's hair was pushed back with a black headband and, obviously dyed, maroon because his roots were the same shade as a lump of coal.