Sweet Purple Shades

Chapter 10: Sweet Purple Shades

I fluttered my eyes open, somewhat blinded by the musty, white hospital walls. I stretched my neck a little, yawning. My mind was still on the words Macabre has spoken to me, what exactly did he mean by that "operative" part?

And what about him mistaking me for an operative? I look nothing like the sort. My heartbeat stopped a little as I drew to a conclusion, was he covering for me so I wouldn't get in trouble, but he would?

I shook my head, "Perish the thought!" I murmured, closing my eyes.

"I wonder what thoughts you have," A voice spoke from across the room. I shot my eyes open, rather startled. "Silly emotions you people have, yet they're rather interesting."

Emotionless showed no emotion whatsoever, as he crossed his arms, standing perfectly straight in posture. It wasn't until a few moments later spent in silence until he spoke: "Luckily, you have no injuries..." His green-tinted eyes trailed to the floor, and his eyes narrowed slightly. He fixed his cap while mumbling loudly: "I'll have a word with [OPERATIVE] Macabre about his treatment toward you."

"Is he like that to other civilians?" I blurted out suddenly. "...sorry, nevermind."

He shook his head. I blew out a sigh. "You are lucky, he's far more violent with the others."

I froze. "Then why discipline him for potentially harming me?"

After I said that, he lifted his eyebrows a little, then put on his blank canvas of a face. "You are one of the many few survivors of the [NIGHTS DISEASE]. You should be treated with more respect then regular civilians. And to hurt you, would be–" he paused his words, turned his back to me, reaching for the door handle. He breathed out, "Would be to hurt a trophy of our success to curing the disease."

He closed the door on me, and I was left in shock. "Am I just an item to the union?" I murmured, a wave of melancholy washed over me. I leaned back, the old hospital bed creaking slightly.

Suddenly, the door burst open, and a waling Benevolent ushered in. "(YYYYY/NN)!!!!!" He scurried over to the bedside and peered down at me. "What happened?!"

Before I could open my smiling-mouth to speak, he was followed by Dynamic. He looked at me, smiled, and took a seat on the pale-green cushioned chair. He was very calm about the whole situation, that when I remembered- His book!

"Dyn–"

I shut my mouth when Benevolent pulled the hem of the back of my shirt up, and I screeched a little, whipping my head around to face him with a completely red face.

"I'm so sorry darling!" He backed up on his heels. "I-I was just checking for any external injuries!!"

Dynamic pushed his glasses up. "Didn't you hear the report from Emotionless? She's completely fine. Now, we've to worry about Macabre."

I raised an eyebrow at his statement, "Why worry for Macabre? He should be fine." I asked, and Benevolent asked the same, tilting his pink hat up upward a bit.

Then, we heard a deep and gruff voice cry out in pain. "GOD DAMN IT RADIANT. GET THE HELL OFF OF ME!"

Dynamic only smiled, turning to the pink-suited operative and tilted his head to the door.

Benevolent nodded, smiling charmingly. "I got it!" He ushered out the door hurriedly to separate Radiant and Macabre from causing a hazard with their fighting.

Finally, I could tell Dynamic about–

"It's alright, I've got my book safe and sound," he pushed his glasses up, a frown now forming on his face. "Now, it isn't the book that should be worried about. It's you."

A flush spread across my face, and I attempted to stutter out something–anything.

He exhaled, pushing himself up and out of the chair and making his way over to me. He was about to say something as he pushed his glasses up once more but stopped when I asked:

"Aren't those glasses a pain to wear?" I asked, genuinely curious.

He froze, the smile came back to his face, but not as genuine as before. "It matches my uniform, I don't really look right with these things on, but it is a bit tedious when it comes to having them on."

I had never seen his eyes before. His whole demeanor was very mysterious, especially when he always referred to book quotes and his writing.

He sighed, and brought his gloved hands up to remove the purple garment from his face.

When he did, I smile widely at his purple-tinted eyes that seemed to sparkle when he looked interested in my reaction. "Your eyes are wonderful, the totally match your outfit," he moved slightly closer to me as I ramble on, pretending to not notice. A blush spread across my face once again. "You look great without those shades."

He laughed. "Shades?" he fixed his suit, now leaning very close to me. "I never found myself as the 'cool' type..."

I laughed along with him, until he stopped so suddenly, slowing closing his eyes. He blew out of his mouth, staring me in the eyes one last time before pressing his lips against mine gently, and it seemed as though all tension built up in me released, and I gently kissed back. It was short and sweet, lasting the perfect amount of time when he pulled away.

He put his glasses back on, fixed his black hat, as well as his posture. He turned to leave, but unlike Emotionless, he waved to me, a purple hue on his face. He left, and I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.