Heartache at Perilous Pathways!

AloneTraveler picks at his giant sword, drawing out a breath in his deep accent:

"Have you decided yet?"

Great_Day peers up from his blank paperwork, fixating his mask back to a more professional way. He rises and walks to the bay window that peers over the city. "Yes. I have."

The petramain smiles, putting his sword back into its rightful shealth. "What-"

Emotionless_Day enters the room, carrying his gun in a tight position. His green eyes showed nothing.

"There you are, I was just about to call you, [OPERATIVE] Emotionless." Great sighed, turning around, hands locked behind his back.

"Of course," Emotionless states.

"I need you to fetch me [CIVILIAN] (Y/N). Bring her to me as soon as possible." Great instructed carefully.

Emotionless nodded.

~***~
Chapter 11: Heartache at Perilous Pathways!

A gunshot rang in my ears, and I screamed, shooting up from my bed.

I looked to the source of the sound, and there stood Emotionless, gun pointed upward and small pieces of debris falling around him. With a frightened wince, I looked up to see a small gunshot wound in the ceiling of my residence.

I dared not oppose him, he was a very serious man compared to the other operatives.

"Get up and get dressed formally; we are headed to the [SUPREME LEADER] Residence.

I gasped. "D-Did I do something wrong?" I stammered. Is this why all the Operatives have been treating me nicely?

"I do not know the answer to that. We shall see when we get there." He said flatly, heading outside to wait for me.

I guess there's no need to delay, right? If I am going to see the [SUPREME LEADER], it's almost a felony in my mind to dress informally.

I looked through the clothes I have obtained, and pulled out the most formal I can find. I quickly threw it on and headed outside to greet the operative in green.

He said nothing as we headed forward, making it all the way to the perilous path to the huge residence.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to do this...but before I could say something in defense, Emotionless walked straight across the thin plank with ease. I shook the awe off my face. God, there's no embarrassing myself now...

I shakily stepped across and made it to the other side, almost losing my footing and falling to my death.

We pressed forward once again, the atmosphere was bereft and the silence was eerie. A whistle of wind startles me as I took a leap for another stone hanging from the steep wall, but Emotionless sprung forward and lurched his arms out, grabbing me and securing me on the ground. I let out a shaky breath, thanking him. He nodded, locking his arm with mine, and helped me through the rest of the path. We were almost there.

"(Y/N)," he breaks the silence. "Good luck."

I look at him, taken aback. "Thanks, but for what?"

He doesn't answer my question. "For someone who just got out of a cage, it is quite an honor to stay in the [SUPREME LEADER]'s residence."

My anger boils at that. "I'm glad to be treated better as well," I remark with a slight growl. I pull away from his side.

Emotionless's eyes narrow. "(Y/N), please come closer to me. I don't want you getting hurt."

I ignore his concerns. "No!" I step onto the plank and keep walking -- alone. "You treated me horribly. Why should I trust you?" I know I shouldn't be talking to an Operative like this. He even tried to protect me. But, I feel like I need to say this. I can't just live with such thoughts filling my brain.

The wind howls with anger, Emotionless's eyes suddenly gained emotion to them-- fear.

I kept on rambling. I could care less about what he has to say. "You never cared about me," Tears threatened to fall from my eyes.

Emotionless stepped quickly to me, now on the plank with me. "(Y/N), please understand that your tests were crucial to our success in curing the [NIGHTS DISEASE]. That's why you are now granted with-"

I don't listen to him. I close my eyes and take another step.

Then, his voice had pure fear in it. "(Y/N), that is enough. You must stop or else-"

I realize that's where the ledge ends, and I lose my footing. I am too scared to scream, or yell or anything for that matter!

His arms, once again, pull me back, closer this time, and he does not let go.

"Listen to me, (Y/N)." He says slowly, and he seems to break character a bit.

"I...I am sorry for what I put you through. I had to do it- for the union. He kept his hands on my shoulders when he pulled away, his eyes narrowing and looking into mine. "I know exactly why you're here. You are so strong and what you are about to hear will change everything."

He pressed the button to the enter button, shoving me through, murmuring. "You'll do great."