4

Morning came and I looked at my camera. I finished the video yesterday. I did it in one take. I did cry alittle, but I held it together nicely. I'd put it up either today after school or tomorrow. It depended on how busy I was with homework and friends. I was feeling better after talking about everything on camera. Maybe I should see if I could hang out with Shayne or the others after school.

I got dressed and I walked out of my house. I texted Shayne telling him I was down the street. When I arrived he was walking out. I saw one of his brothers sitting on the couch. He turned and looked at me. I smiled and waved, but he didn't return it. He scowled and then turned his head back to the tv. When the door closed and we started walking I looked to Shayne.

"Does your brother hate me?" I asked.

"Well hates a strong words." He laughed. "Chris is just alittle upset because I totaled his car trying to find you." He tells me.

"Nice car?" I asked.

"Yeah pretty nice. He'll get over it though." Shayne smiled grabbing my hand. I take a nice happy breath of air.

"Things feel like they're finally going back to normal." I told him.

"Any progress on the video?" He asked.

"Yeah I filmed it last night. I was thinking about posting it later or maybe tomorrow." I tell him.

"Good. Thats great." He smiled. We reached the school and walked inside. I felt happier today than I have in the past few months.

The morning felt like it was moving along quickly. First was done in a flash and before I knew it I was walking into second.

"Hey Mrs. Willi—" I looked at the desk seeing an unfamiliar woman. She had short brown hair with greys growing here and there. She had an unpleasant look to her. Like she would yell at me for breathing. When she looked at me she smiled.

"Hello dear. What's your name?" She asked. She was going to take roll in minutes so I didn't see the point in asking.

"Damien." I told her. She picked up her attendence paper and started looking down it.

"Haas?" She asked.

"Uh yes ma'am." I tell her. I went to my seat and looked at her. Most substitutes don't care to actually learn your name. They're here for a day and thats it.

She did the same wth everyone who walked in. When the bell rung she stood and smiled. "Hello everyone. I'm your new permanent teacher." Everyone began murmuring. Permanent teacher? What happened to mrs. Williams? "I'm Ms. Slaughter and I look forward to being with you for the rest of the year." She said.

Someone coughed. "Your last name is slaughter?" A girl asked.

"Yes. Take off the S and my name is laughter though." She let out a small laugh.

She freaked me out. Way to happy to be here. "What happened to Mrs. Williams?" A guy asked.

"Well, she was in a serious car accident yesterday. She didn't make it." She told us. Silence ans shock fell over all of us. She was debatably my favorite teacher. The only teacher I felt like I could talk to. She was gone.

She got straight into the lesson, but no one was paying attention. We were all lost in our heads. If the others were like me, they were picturing her last moments. I looked at Elliot who was on the verge of tears. Everyone was being hit hard by this.

The bell rang and I was out of it for the rest of the day. I felt numb. I hadn't realized how important she was in my life until now. All of my other teachers I would never disclose personal information to them. I didn't have adults to turn to now. None that I trusted. Just my mom, and I don't like explaining things like that to her.

I reached lunch and I was still out of it. "Are you in?" I heard Joven asked.

"Hmm?" I asked.

"We were planning on going to Jovens tomorrow and all playing Smash bros." Mari told me.

"Oh. Yeah sure. Sounds fun. I need a ride though." I tell them.

"No problem. I'll drive you." Lasercorn said. I smiled.

"Are you okay? You seem alittle...." Noah said.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm fine. Just want the school day to be over." I lie. It seemed easier to just tell them I'm fine. I was earlier. I don't want to seem like everything happens to me. I want to seem okay for at least a day.

After school I went home and my mom sat on the couch on the phone. "Yes I know. Yes—yeah. I've got that. I just.....he's—yes exactly. I...." she looked at me. "I'll call you back." She says. "Hey sweetie. How was school?" She asked.

"Uh...the day started out pretty good." I said.

"And then?" She asked. I sighed and took a seat.

"My second period teacher died yesterday." I told her. She moved and pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry Damien. Its—it's been too rough of a year for you." I could hear her voice trembling.

"I'll get through this." I tell her. "We all will." I say.