6

I dropped the jug of milk, going down on my knees. Shayne was shot. Shayne was shot. Without hesitation I began applying pressure to the wound. "SOMEONE CALL AN AMBULANCE! SOMEONE CALL AN AMBULANCE!" I started screaming. A worker rushed out and looked. People began crowding around lots with phones out. I couldn't tell if they were recording or helping. Lasercorn came up and dropped beside me. "What the hell happened?" He asked helping with the pressure.

"I-I don't know. He-he-he was fine one moment and then he collapsed." I stammered out. I heard the sirens and I looked at Shayne. His breathing was shallow and he was looking around the sky like he was beginning to get spotty. I removed one of my hands and stroked his hair.

"You're gonna be okay Shayne. Okay? You're gonna go to the hospital and they're gonna fix your right up. Okay baby?" I spoke to him soothingly.

"D-Damien." He whispered.

"I'm right here Shayne. I'm not going anywhere." I said with tears in my eyes.

"I love you." He whispered. I felt more tears springing up. He said it like he's gonna die though.

"I love you too. We're gonna be okay. We're gonna make it through this." I let my tears fall as the ambulance pulled up. They got him on the stretcher. They wouldn't let me ride with him because I was underage and not family. I turned to Lasercorn.

"You have to take me to the hospital. I have to be there." I tell him.

"Listen Damien. You have to talk to the police." He tells me.

"I don't have to talk to anyone. I need to know my boyfriend is okay." I shouted.

"Your boyfriend was just shot in front of a store! The police are going to think its weird if you, the person who was right next to him when it happened, flees right after the attack." He shouted back.

"I don't give a damn what they think I'm innocent and I need to know if he's gonna be okay." I shouted at him.

"He has to be okay." I let more tears spill. Lasercorn brought me into a hug. I sobbed for a minute.

"Damien, you have to talk to the police so you can get this son of a bitch. You better call his parents too." He suggested. I pulled back.

"Son of a bastard." I muttered. Chris hates me because I got his car totaled. The rest of his family is going to have hard feelings about him getting shot around me. Like I just cause trouble wherever I go.

I went into the store before talking to the police. Shayne's blood was still all over my hands. I felt sick looking at it. Someone shot him. Somebody shot at us. It could've been me.

I went to the police officer who was talking to a few people who had come around the tail end. "Do you have any information to help us with the investigation?" One of the officers asked.

"I was standing beside him when he was shot." I tell him.

"Can you give us anything that could give us a lead?" He asked me.

"I didn't see anything. I was getting my phone and he started coughing. And...and then he just dropped. I didn't hear a gun shot. I wasn't injured. I didn't see anyone who looked suspicious." I was racking my brain. In the pitch blackness I saw no one.

"Hmm." He hummed.

"What all do you know if you don't mind me asking. He's my boyfriend." I told him. He looked around.

"I cannot legally discuss the details yet." He tells me. I nod. I walked off and pulled out my phone I had messages from our group.

Mari: Lasercorn told me what happened are you and Shayne okay??

Noah: Do you have anything on Shayne or the case? What happened?

Boze: Oh my goddd please tell me you guys are okay you're in my prayers!!

Wes: My family is praying for both of you guys. It sucks this is happening to you two especially considering all you've gone through as it is.

I dialed Mrs. Topp and I took a deep breath as it rang. "Hello?" She picked up.

"Hey Mrs. Topp." My voice trembled.

"Damien? Whats wrong?" She asked.

"Um Shayne and I had to stop at the store on our way back and I-I don't know how it happened." I felt tear welling up.

"Shayne got shot. He's been rushed to the hospital. I don't know how he is or whats going on. I'm so sorry. I wish I could tell you more." I felt tears escaping my eyes again. I heard murmurs in the background of the call.

"Are you okay? Do you need someone to come and get you?" She asked.

"No you get to the hospital. I have a ride. I'll be fine. I wanted to be the one to tell you not the hospital." I tell her.

"Okay. I'll send you an update if you can't get there." She told me.

"Thank you. I wanna be there." I tell her. I walked over to Lasercorn

"Please take me there. I can't do much more here." I say to Lasercorn.

He nods. "Come on." He started to the car and we got in. I pulled out my phone.

"Hey mom." I called her.

"Hey did you get the milk?" She asked.

"Errm. We stopped for it and there was an accident." I said looking up.

"Accident? What happened?" She asked frantically.

"Someone shot Shayne." I said.

"Oh my god!" She shouted. "Is he–is he gonna be okay?" She asked.

"I have no idea. I'm going to the hospital now. He's been there at least 20 minutes." I tell her.

"Do you want me to meet you there?" She asked.

"No. I'll get a ride back with his family." I told her.

"Okay. Text me any updates." She said.

"I will. Love you." I said. "Love you."

We arrived at the hospital. "I'll text you if we get any updates." I tell him. He nods.

"Don't do anything stupid Damien." He told me.

"What makes you think I'd do that?" I asked with a small laugh.

"Text me if you need anything." He says.

"I will." I say and I get out. I wave before walking into the hospital. I saw Shaynes mom pacing the waiting room. His dad sat, shaking his leg intensely. His two brothers sat looking at their phones.

I went to them. "I'm so sorry. Have you heard anything?" I asked his mom.

"Not yet. He's in surgery." She told me. I nodded.

"How are you handling this dear?" She asked.

I was next to him. How am I supposed to feel? "I just hope he's okay." I tell her. I take a seat beside Chris and he looks at me. I wanted to apologize for his car, but it seemed like a weird moment to do it all things considered.

I felt my pocket buzz and I took a moment before I decided to look. It was probably another friend asking whats the news. I pulled out my phone and I looked at the text. I felt my stomach turn.

Unknown number: Consider this a warning.