16

Chris

There was a knock on the door early in the morning. Shayne and Damien had both already left for school. I got up and answered the door. A man and woman both in suits stood infront of me.

"Hello?" I said.

"Are your parents home?" The woman asked.

"Uh yeah. Hold on." I said and cracked the door. "Ma! Dad! Someone's at the door for you." I shouted. They came to the door Jacob trailing behind them. They answered the door.

"Can I help you?" My mom asked.

"We need you to come with us ma'am. You and your whole family." The man says.

"I'm sorry what?" Dad asked.

"We think you're in danger. We need you to come with us to ensure your safety." The woman stated. The reached into their coat pockets and both pulled out identification. Private investigators. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Is everyone home?" The woman asked.

"Um, no. My youngest, Shayne, he went to school. Is he gonna be okay!" She asked.

"If he's at school he should be fine. We'll pick him up from there after school." The man told us. We gathered a few things and then stepped outside. There was a black suv in the driveway along with the rest of our cars.

We divided up. Me and mom in the suv, Dad and Jacob in his car. We drove away as they followed right behind us.

Damien

Shayne and I were still not on the best terms. I felt like now wouldn't be the best time to tell him about my mom wanting to move. It would give him ammunition for why we should tell the police. I didn't want to fight. Cause I had no good arguments. In the end he was right. If he's gonna possibly kill us or others anyways, then we should die trying to stop him. I just have a feeling not going to the police will iron itself out. Maybe its blind faith, but I've learned life has a funny way of doing things.

I gave him a small smile before I entered my first period. Class dragged on before my teacher received a call. "Damien." I looked up from my journal I had been doodling in. "They're asking for you at the office." I furrowed my eyebrows and put my stuff away before getting up and walking out. Hopefully my mom wasn't being drastic. Or is making me move in with dad until she can get a new place. Despite the crazy things that have happened to me here, I love it here. I love Shayne and I love my friends and the house. I love it here.

As I was walking I saw Shayne walking too. "Shayne!" I called catching up with him.

"Are you skipping or something?" Shayne asked.

"No, I was called to the office." I say.

"You too? God, please let it be something normal." He looked up to the ceiling. We reached the office and I saw a man standing in the doorway. The principal and attendance woman stared at us with almost plastered on smiles. Fake. Like they were scared.

"Damien, Shayne. Nice to meet you." The man said. Before we could respond he grabbed us and pulled us from the building. He took a knife from his pocket. "You're not getting away so easily. If you do anything, I will kill him" He said putting the knife at Shayne's throat. He lugged Shayne out, me following behind him, the knife still at my boyfriend.

He threw us in the back of his small grey Lexus, and picked something up from the car floor. A duck tape roll. He put my hands together wrapping it around several times. I couldn't move my hands at all. He ran around to the drivers seat and locked the doors. "Lets take alittle ride shall we." He said and began driving.

It was hours we were in the car. He had been ignoring us the whole time. "So you're Joven's uncle." I said.

"Yeah. You know, you guys are more trouble than you're worth. I mean normally this job would've been easy. Me scaring you would've made you decide not to post that video, but it seems you like making my life hell." He says.

"You made your own life hell by signing up for this mission." I shoot back.

"I didn't sign up." He said. "I had a debt to pay over for telling my nephew inside information ." He told us.

"What happens when our families report us missing?" I asked.

"Police will just think you two ran away. I have no trace. And if I have to I'll take out your families too." He says.

"You're the devil. I hope they catch you." Shayne spoke up. I knew he was sensitive about his family. He didn't want to be the reason for their deaths.

"Government will protect me. Cover it up. Keep me safe. Like they did in the trial." He said. I scowled. "This is almost end of the road for us." He says. "I'm handing you off to my brother. You know him of course. Its so it looks less suspicious. I go to the hospital and watch after my nephew while my brother is out of town for work." He says.

'He's doing the annoying villain monologue. I wish he would just shut up.' It was a few more minutes of him explaining how he wished it could've ended differently before we came to a stop in the middle of nowhere.

"How'd you even talk the principal into handing us over?" I ask.

"Easy. I told him that if he didn't hand you guys over for legal matters I would talk to his boss and get him fired." He said.

"You Karen'd him?" I said in disbelief. Shayne let out a small giggle.

"Sure." He rolled his eyes. "He should be here...oh! There he is." He looked around spotting Mr. Ovenshire outside of his car. Another man was with him. "Who the...." He whispered before getting out.