Prologue: Runaway

Hermione's POV

Good day, I am Hermione only daughter of Denethor the steward of Gondor. I have two older brothers, Boromir and Faramir. I love my brothers and they love me. But dad doesn't love Faramir and only sees me as a way to gain more power. For years I have none he was planning on selling me to Saruman in order to get more power.

But I'd never allow myself to be used that way. I wanted to fight like the shield-maidens of Rohan. To be a warrior like my brothers. However, dad would never allow it. So Faramir has trained me in secret. Boromir found out and was angry at first. But he didn't tell father and even had a sword made for me in secret.

I'm now eighteen and due to be sold to Isengard any day now. But like I said, I won't be used by any one. I've packed a small bag with food, spare clothes and rope. I strap my sword to my waist, place a knife in each boot and fasten my cloak around my neck. I put my hood up and climb out of my window down the bed sheets I had tied together.

I drop down on the ground crouching behind a bush as a patrol passes. Once they'd rounded the corner I head for the stables. Where my horse Garth  awaits. He was a gift from Faramir, who knew my love for horses.

 He was a gift from Faramir, who knew my love for horses

I arrived safely and put his saddle on. Attached to it is my saddle bag, bedroll and a water skin. He nickers nudging me. "Shh Garth, I don't have a treat" I tell him and his whines in protest. "Shh!" I say firmly as I finish with the reins.

"Leaving without saying goodbye?" someone asks behind me. I turn to see my brothers standing there and sigh.

"Hermione, why are you leaving?" Boromir asks me.

"I don't belong here Boromir, father will never let me become a warrior. He'd rather have me locked in a tower. But I want to fight, to run free with Garth. With no rules" I tell him.

"Here dear Sister, it gets cold at night" Faramir says handing me another rolled up blanket. I thank him and tie to the saddle.

"This isn't goodbye, but see you later" I tell them smiling. "I love you both" I say hugging them. Boromir grumbles but hugs back tightly.

"Just be careful out there, remember everything we taught you" he tells me.

"Don't be a stranger" Faramir adds.

"I'll write under the name Hermy, I'll send a letter when I reach Rohan" I assure them. I mount Garth and we gallop out of the stables. We rode through the city going through each gate. I don't stop until I reach the top of the hill on the Pelennor Fields. I look back one last time before riding North west towards the river, towards Rohan.

(Week later)

I had crossed the river a couple of days ago and have been in Rohan. I passed a few orcs, but I killed them. However, they did leave a nasty scratch on my arm. Luckily I had some medical herbs and treated it. Right now it's wrapped in a bandage. I'm resting against Garth just enjoying a morning breeze.

Technically I should have already arrived at Edoras. But I'm enjoying my freedom and am taking my time. I'm in no rush to rejoin civilization. Maybe I should go to the North and become a ranger? Nah, I want to be a shield-maiden. I wanted to be the first shield-maiden of Gondor. But I guess I'll have to settle being a shield-maiden in Rohan instead.

I start to nod off when I hear a commotion from over the hill. I sit up straight looking at it with Garth. I hear the sound of metal on metal and stand up. I mount Garth and draw my sword. "Yah!" I shout and he gallops towards the hill.

When we reach the top we see a small group of men fighting nearly thirty orcs. They're out numbered three to one. I kick Garth and he rides into the fray. I start to slice off heads of orcs. Until one knocks me off of Garth. But I get back up and face him glaring. My hood still up.

We start to fight and soon two others join him. My arm starts to hurt and I know the wound has reopened. I curse, knowing I have to end this quickly. I disarm an orc and catch his sword. I use it to kill him and then both swords on the other two. I see the fight is other and sigh leaning on my sword dropping the orc one.

"You fight well young warrior" a man says.

"Thanks" I say in a hoarse voice.

"What's your name lad?" the captain asks me. I frown, they think I'm a guy. Typical, I save their lives and they think I am a man.

"Hermy" I state sheathing my sword and Garth runs over. He nuzzles me happily and I notice the orc blood on him. "You'll need a bath my friend" I say patting his neck.

"You have a stallion" the first man says surprised.

"Aye and I could not ask for a finer steed" I state.

"Where are you from?" the captain asks me.

"The North" I lie.

"Are you a ranger?" a esquire asks me.

"No, my father was" I lie. "He taught me everything I know, but I wanted to see Middle Earth. I was on my way to Edoras when I heard your fight" I state.

"You can come back with us" the captain tells me. "I'm sure my father would like to thank you for saving me" he states. I remain silent confused. "Forgive me, I have not introduced myself. I am Theodred, son of Theoden" he tells me. So this is the prince of Rohan.

I bow my head. "No need for that, you saved my life after all" he tells me with a chuckle. He mounts a horse and pulls the esquire on behind him. I see they only have four horses. "Do not worry, it is only about twenty minutes away" he assures me. I nod my head and have Garth follow him, keeping my hood up.

A/N

Picture above of the full cover and picture in chapter of Garth.