Into the Mines

Hermione's POV

Hermione's POV

We reached a lake and stone wall. According to Gandalf, this is where we'll find the door. The door appears glowing in the moon light. I start to untack Bill. Mines are no place for ponies. Aragorn and Sam come over to help me. "The Mines are no place for a pony, even one so brave as Bill" Aragorn tells Sam. I nod my head in agreement.

"Buh-bye Bill" Sam says sadly patting his nose.

"Go on, Bill, go on" Aragorn tells the pony who starts to leave.

"Don't worry Sam, he knows the way home" I assure him in a gruff voice. Placing a hand on his shoulder. Bill clip-clops down the shore through the night. Aragorn leaves me with Sam.

"You sure he knows the way?" Sam asks me.

"Yes, I am certain" I state. He gives me a grateful smile and goes over to Frodo. I lean against the wall watch the water. Something about it seems off to me.

"It's a riddle" Frodo suddenly announces. "Speak 'friend' and enter. What's the Elvish word for friend?" he asks us.

"Mellon" Gandalf says in elvish. The stone doors slowly swing open, rumbling deeply. We enter the mines, I walk beside Boromir. Never really been a fan of being underground. Gandalf places a crystal into the top of his staff and it begins to glow.

"Soon, Master Elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the Dwarves! Roaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone. This, my friend, is the home of my cousin, Balin" Gimli tells Legolas loudly. "And they call it a mine. A mine" he states.

I step on something and there's a loud crunch. I look down to see a broken arrow. "This is no mine" I whisper in horror.

"It's a tomb" Boromir finishes. Light reveals rotted, broken and battered forms strewn about, casting long shadows across the room. Legolas pulls out an arrow from the body of a fallen Dwarf, examines it and casts it away in disgust.

"Goblins" he tells us and I draw my sword. Aragorn and Boromir draw out their swords also. While Legolas fits an arrow to his bow.

"Stand back guys" I tell the hobbits. They stay behind us heading for the exit. We follow them slowly silently.

"We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here" Boromir states.

"Frodo!" Merry, Pippin and Sam yell.

"Help!" Frodo cries. We turn to see the three Hobbits clutch at Frodo. Attempting to keep him away from the water as more tentacles wrap around him. The creature releases Frodo suddenly, and feigns disappearance under the waters. Suddenly, many tentacles come out of the water, slapping the other three Hobbits aside and grabbing Frodo around the leg. He is pulled into the air hanging over the water.

Legolas runs out onto the shore and shoots. His arrow hits a tentacle. Boromir, Aragorn and I rush forward into the water. We start to slice up tentacles. Aragorn cuts Frodo free and I catch him. Boromir grabs us pulling us to shore.

"Into the Mines!" Gandalf yells. I agree with him. I'd rather face goblins over this monster any day. I race in carrying Frodo. The others follow me and I notice Legolas still shooting at the beast in the arch way. I notice the ceiling starting to cave in.

I rush forward and past him and tackle him into the mine. Just as the ceiling collapsed onto the beast. I breath heavily as I sit up. "Next time, pay attention to your surroundings" I grumble. I stand and grab my side gasping in pain.

"You ok lad?" Gimli asks me.

I look at my hand to see blood. "Looks like one of the rocks grazed your side. Let me tend to it" Aragorn says stepping forward. But I side step him.

"It's just a scratch. I'm fine" I assure him. "What now Gandalf?" I ask changing the subject.

"We now have but one choice. We must face the long dark of Moria" he states. "Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs, in the deep places of the world. Quietly now. It's a four-day journey to the other side. Let us hope that our presence may go unnoticed" he tells us.

He starts to lead the way deeper into the mine. The hobbits stick together. Aragorn walks by Gimli. Legolas and Boromir look at me in concern. "I'm fine guys, really" I assure them. They reluctantly nod their heads accepting my decision. We follow the others, me bring up the rear. Keeping pressure on my wound. No way am I dying in a mine.

A/N

Pictures above of the entrance to the Mines of Moria and in chapter of Hermione.