1

The first day of Freshman year was pretty terrible for me. I had my bruises covered up pretty well--the ones on my torso and arms. But I couldn't possibly have hidden the one on my face. He had given it to me a week before school started, so it was mostly healed by the first day. But it was still there...just right of my eye. I knew I could deal with it--make up some story about how I got into a fight with some punk on the street trying to take my soda or something like that. People would notice, but they wouldn't really know.

I kept my eyes on the floor as I made my way to my first class. I was thinking to myself about how stupid the assembly would be today. I'd be sitting all alone. It's what happened every time in middle school. What would make it different now? High school was just filled with more strangers. The kind of strangers that would never notice what's underneath my shirt.

A pair of black sneakers came into my view a millisecond before I walked right into someone. I apologized, but never took the chance to look at his face. If I looked at this kid's face, then he would see my bruise. He would ask a question maybe. Not that the boy would really bother with the issues of a stranger. I just wanted to get away from him.

"You should watch where you're going," he told me gruffly. His voice sounded funny--like he had some thick accent he couldn't get rid of. I couldn't really tell what it was. I was sure that I would be able to tell if I looked up at his face, but I didn't want to do that. I didn't want to form any sort of connection with anyone.

So I nodded at the stranger, and went on my way to that dreaded first class. I didn't notice the same stranger I had bumped into following me down the hall. I was far too focused on reading the numbers above the doors of the classrooms ahead of me. My first period should have been around here somewhere. The last thing I wanted to be was that stupid Freshman who gets lost on the first day of school.

"Are you going to room 623?" that same voice called out. His accent made me smile, though it was hidden under my (h/c) hair. I decided not to answer him. Instead, I nodded. "I'm going there too. We can wark together," he mumbled, catching up to walk by my side. "I'm Taiga Kagami, by the way."

"It sounds like tiger," I mumbled in reply. I had secretly hoped to have insulted him, make him not want to talk to me. "I'll call you Tiger. Are you from Asia too?"

"Japan," he replied a bit more quietly than he had been speaking before. "Hopefurry I'rr be abre to go back soon."

If I wanted to spark any form of relationship with this foreigner, I would have told him that I knew Japanese quite well. My uncle did a lot of business with Japanese companies. He was well immersed in their culture when he was younger. When I was younger...when my parents were alive and he was kinder to me...he used to drill the language into my head. He still tested me on occasion, but only so that he could hit me if I failed. But I kept these things to myself and just nodded at the stranger.

"Why did you take cooking your Freshman year?" he suddenly asked me.

I wanted to just shrug my shoulders and keep walking in silence, but something inside me wouldn't let me. "No one is home and I want to be able to feed myself."

"I guess that's a good reason. My mom is tired of cooking for me...so she tord me to rearn for myserf."

"You must eat a lot, Tiger..." I mumbled in reply. I wish I hadn't. I was so stupid! All I wanted to do was be alone and I was ruining it for myself! But I couldn't stop...

"Yeah...it's what I do when I'm not praying basketbarr."

He was a jock...I knew then that I should have ended all possibilities of a relationship of any sort with him as soon as our conversation had started. "What a stupid game..." I grumbled as I walked into the classroom.