5

Three days after we arrived, my uncle gave me some money and sent me out to get my own lunch. I knew that he wouldn't be in the hotel when I got back, so I took my things with me. I went to some random fast food place because I figured I could get more for the little money I had. I had just walked into the place when my heart lept into my throat. He was there. He was right there. I wanted to die. I wanted to disappear. I wanted to have never been born. Kagami was already back in my life.

I swallowed hard and thought in silence for a moment. Maybe me showing up in the country he ran off to would be something close to hell to him. It would be nothing like what he had done to me. But now that I had found him, I could do so much to hurt him. I wanted to crush him.

It seemed like a good option. I could get a free meal as well as keep the promise I made to Kagami's mother. So I sat down across from the asshole and took a couple of his hamburgers for myself without a word. He didn't notice me at first. He was more of an idiot than I had believed before. Who wouldn't notice a giant stealing his food?

"Eh? Hey!" he suddenly screamed at me. He didn't recognize me, but I wasn't going to introduce myself. And boy did he recognize me when he looked at my face. "(y-y/n)?" he whispered in awe. I was kind of disappointed. He seemed more shocked than guilty. If we weren't surrounded by strangers, I would have beaten the crap out of him. "(y/n)!" He smiled brightly as though he had never cut out my heart and shred it into a million pieces. "What are you doing here?"

I ignored his question and began to eat. I wanted to get as much food in my stomach as possible. He stared at me with a smile. Did he think that I had forgotten what he did to me? "Don't look at me like that," I spat. I reached into my bag and pulled out the letter from his mom. "Your mom wanted me to give this to you." I placed the letter on the table and stood up. I couldn't look at his face for much longer. I didn't want Kagami to see me cry...not again. I grabbed most of his burgers and left with my bag. I wasn't going to see Kagami again for a while. I had to promise myself that. I would find a way to really crush him like he had crushed me.

"Where are you going?" he called to me.

"Doesn't matter," I replied without turning back. I was proud of myself. I had faced my biggest fear: seeing Kagami's face again. But now I was on my own completely. All I had was my bag filled with clothes that were too small, a little bit of money, and the burgers that I stole from Kagami. I decided that I wanted to eat my food in peace so that I could think about what was ahead for me.

There was an empty street court a couple blocks away. I figured I could sit in the corner and eat in peace. That's all I wanted then. My heart was still pounding from my run-in with Kagami. I prayed silently with every step that he hadn't followed me.

I sat against the fence and began to eat. I was so hungry. My uncle did a good job of starving me. I could count my ribs. My xiphoid process* was awkwardly visible too. I didn't want to be here. I didn't want to be alive. But if I gave up...if I killed myself like desperately wanted to...then that would mean that people like my uncle, like Kagami, would have won. I could let Kagami win. I would never let him win.

I was still sitting against the fence when the sun went down. I decided that I should just sleep on the court. It wasn't cold yet. I didn't have anywhere else to go. My uncle definitely wouldn't be looking for me. Would it really be all that bad if I was a street bum? It's where I had been heading all my life. I wish that I could have seen the stars. I would have made a wish that I was someone else. But the city lights reflected off the sky and prevented me from seeing the stars like I could back home.

I had a dream that night. I would have liked to call it a nightmare, but it was far too satisfying to be a nightmare. The dream was just...bittersweet. Kagami and I were playing one-on-one. He had made a promise to me long ago that he would one day be better than me at the game that I had come to hate. I made a promise to myself that I would never let him. In my dream, I crushed him. I beat Kagami so bad that I made him cry. Oh, how I wanted to see the bastard cry! I woke up smirking. It was the closest I had come to smiling in almost a year.