14

It only took him about three days to get an entire new bed in his smallish bedroom. I wasn't allowed to help get it into the apartment nor his--our--bedroom. I just watched as he did all the work. He wasn't complaining about it or anything. But I still felt a little bad for making him do all this heavy labor just to satisfy my needs.

But that first night lying in our own bed beside him was beyond surreal. He held me so close and so gently that I nearly wept in his arms. I never knew before just how much I loved being in Taiga's arms.

I woke up the next morning with Taiga's face pressed into my chest for the first time. I really was taller than he was. It was a little strange but not unpleasant. I wrapped my arms around him loosely and pressed my face into his red hair.

"Suffocating," he grumbled after a while. I ignored him of course. Just holding him close like that for a few moments brought me the most comfort I had felt in the passed year. I kissed his temple softly. "Seriously..."

"Want me to make breakfast?" I asked him softly.

"I should be making you breakfast," he grumbled back, his words slightly muffled by my chest. "I'll be up in five minutes..."

"Please," I retorted as I sat up. "No offense but your sense of time is not the most reliable thing in the world. I'll make us a couple omelets or something..."

"More than a couple," he told me. His tired eyes opened slightly so that he could look at my gaunt, sickly face. "Thanks."

I leaned down and kissed his cheek. "No problem," I told him softly. After that I headed to the kitchen. Everything here was still kind of new to me, but I was confident that I could make breakfast on my own.

Taiga came down an hour later, much later than he said he would be up. I turned to him and smirked before pointing to the pile of omelets waiting for him. He grabbed the plate and brought it to the living room. He sat on the floor after turning the TV on and began to eat. I sat down beside him and picked at his food. "This is really good," he told me quietly.

"Thanks."

"I want to get a job," Taiga said to me quietly.

"Right." I wouldn't want to be stuck inside with someone like me all day either. I rubbed my arms nervously and stared blankly at the TV. "Where do you want to work?"

"I don't know...maybe in a kitchen or something," he murmured back. "My parents are coming to visit and I want to prove to them that I can take care of the two of us."

"It's gonna take more than a part time job to pay my hospital bills," I told him.

"My dad is going to take care of that for now. We're still in high school. And we still have to get through university...my mom is keeping him very generous."

I chuckled and kissed him gently. "I don't know where I would be without you and your entire family."

"I don't want to think about it," he replied before shoving another forkful of omelet into my mouth. "You shouldn't think about it either."

"Tiger," I murmured after swallowing. "When are they coming?"

"A week before school starts again," he replied with a raised eyebrow. I couldn't get over how much I missed seeing those ridiculous eyebrows. "Why do you ask?"

"I want to try growing my hair back," I told him with a nervous smile. "I was just wondering if I would look normal for when they got here or not." My nervous laughter didn't help lighten the mood like I thought it would.