Preference

A/N: Sorry guys for a short and shitty chapter.  I wanted to at least get something down for you so consider this a bridge to more action. I elected to skip over the details of their entrance to the penthouse because I honestly don't feel like doing the research or thinking required to figure out how these two specifically would get around people and cameras so... here you go.  Hopefully I can get my brain on track and get some actual quality work done on this sometime this month.

They watched the blond woman enter the large apartment building, greeting the doorman with a nod. He returned her gesture and continued scanning the walkway.

"I thought we were going after Lounds next," Will asked, eyes not leaving the door as Bedelia du Maurier entered a code, scanned a key card, and vanished through the ornate doors.

"Don't worry Will," Hannibal reassured while intently watching the building. "We will attend to Ms. Lounds. She is quick and smart and will no doubt suspect our survival and involvement in the deaths of your latest victims. We need a proper place to host her, do we not?" He finally looked to Will.

The professor mulled it over for a moment before agreeing. "So we're going to pay a visit to Bedelia."

Hannibal seemed pleased and returned his gaze to the building. "She will be in the safest place; the penthouse. It won't be easy to get to her undetected."

Will nodded. "We'll need to watch for cameras and security, not to mention other residents."

Hannibal said nothing; just tilted his head and considered the building for a moment more before starting the car and driving away.

---

The click of the door was quiet, but it rang through the silent apartment loud enough to make Will perk up. His eyes flicked to Hannibal, who tilted his head slightly before silently fading into the shadows behind the wall. Will leaned back in his chair, relaxing. They'd been waiting for her to return for three hours now.

The doctor entered the room briskly, though she froze the moment she saw her guest. "Hello Bedelia," Will greeted.

She swallowed before visibly forcing herself to appear relaxed. Will could still see how taught her muscles were in her neck. "To what do I owe this visit?"

Will simply stared at her as he stood. "You were right," he said, advancing only a single step. Bedelia leaned slightly backwards, muscles straining against her instinct to run, though she was still on the opposite end of the room.

"Was I?" She took a tiny step back.

"I am marked," he whispered, advancing again. He could see the sheen of tears in her eyes. She no doubt knew what his presence here meant. Will resisted the urge to glance back at Hannibal as he emerged from his hiding place and stood in the doorway back to the entryway.

Bedelia's gaze flickered over his face as she took in the still-red scar marring his cheek and tried to decipher his emotions. His face remained a neutral mask as he advanced again. She licked her lips. "Jack knew you weren't dead."

Will said nothing, only continued his slow advance. Her timid retreat brought her closer to Hannibal.

"Molly and Walter are dead," she tried again. It was both a sentence and a question.

Will's expression did not change. His target was now a step away from running into Hannibal and he stopped, allowing the blond woman to do so as well. He finally allowed himself to meet Hannibal's gaze over her for a mere moment before returning his attention to her.

Bedelia's lips slowly came together and her eyes closed in realization. Hannibal leaned forward so his torso brushed her back. "Hello Bedelia," he echoed Will's greeting directly into her ear, voice both tender and filled with malice. Will narrowed his eyes as the older man's hands closed gently around their captive's shoulders. "You've clearly had a long day; why don't we prepare you dinner?"