Vivian Coates Interview

TRANSCRIPT OF TAPED INTERVIEW BETWEEN DETECTIVE BRANDON AND VIVIAN COATES ON WEDNESDAY THE 9TH OF MAY, 2018

LOCATION OF INTERVIEW: THE HOME OF VIVIAN COATES

TIME COMMENCED: 9:12 AM

Vivian: You again?

Detective Brandon: I'm afraid so.

Vivian: What do you want?

Detective Brandon: May I come in?

Vivian: I suppose. 

Sit.

Detective Brandon: Thank you. 

Vivian: What can I do for you detective?

Detective Brandon: I need to ask you a few more questions about Caitlyn.

Vivian: You mean you haven't come to rub my affair in my face like that little weasel of a partner of yours did.

Detective Brandon: Well, we'll get to that.

Vivian: Oh goody.

Detective Brandon: Let's start with Caitlyn.

Vivian: Ask away.

Detective Brandon: I should warn you that some of this may be difficult to hear, but I feel that I need to be forthright with you if we are going to have a chance of finding your daughter. And I need you to be honest with me.

Vivian: I'll do my best.

Detective Brandon: It'll have to be better than the last time we spoke.

(Silence)

All right then. I'll get straight into it. Information has surfaced that Caitlyn may have been abusing pain medication. Did you ever notice Caitlyn taking drugs?

Vivian: Pain meds? I suppose she could have been, but I think I would have noticed if she had been stealing my pills.

Detective Brandon: Your pills? You have pain pills? Here in the house?

Vivian: Yes, I have  Oxycontin, for an old injury that still bothers me. You act as if I'm some sort of criminal. It's not illegal to take pain pills detective.

Detective Brandon: It's not that. I'm just surprised. It seems like it would have been pretty easy then for her to get her hands on pain meds. She wouldn't have had to have gone elsewhere.

Vivian: Perhaps, but I never noticed any pills missing and I think I would have noticed a change in her behavior.

Detective Brandon: With all due respect Vivian, it appears there was an awful lot going on in Caitlyn's life that you were unaware of, which leads me to my next question. The year that Caitlyn interned at the hospital, were you aware that she was visiting Dr. Patrick on your lunch hour?

Vivian: Caitlyn was visiting Terry? Are you sure?

Detective Brandon: Yes. We have video surveillance. She was there quite often.

Vivian: Doing what?

Detective Brandon: Dr. Patrick said it was to ask him questions about his work since she was interested in becoming a surgeon.