Chapter 23

"Hawkspirit, I-"

"Not here," Hawkspirit mumbled through his bundle of herbs. They were still in ShadowClan territory, as pine needles pricked at Skyfall's paws with nearly every step they took. They were walking at a brisk pace. Skyfall was dying to go faster, but Hawkspirit insisted to go at a slower pace to avoid crushing or dropping any valuable herbs they may need.

Skyfall shut her mouth. She had thought that they were far enough away from ShadowClan's camp by now, and that it was safe for them to talk, but clearly Hawkspirit disagreed. The only contact they had made was the slight touch of their tails as they walked. They made sure to keep  a further distance than they normally would have when they were alone. Their distance pulled at Skyfall's heart, as she so desperately wanted to rub up against his warm fur, but she knew better. 

The ThunderClan border came into view, and Skyfall could begin to detect faint ThunderClan scent markers. Hawkspirit seemed to recognize the shortening distance as well, as Skyfall could feel him begin to loosen up, the tension falling from his stature.

Deciding that she would attempt to speak again, she whispered, "Thank you for coming."

Hawkspirit nodded. "I'm sorry that I am being quiet," He meowed with sincerity. "ShadowClan doesn't trust you. Or any of ThunderClan. I wouldn't be surprised if they had been following us."

Skyfall flicked her ear in acknowledgment. She knew how ShadowClan felt about her, and about her Clan. Irritation rose up within her when she thought about the fact that ShadowClan really thought there was a possibility that ThunderClan used a potentially dying queen and her kits as bait into battle. The fact that they think we'd do that is a reflection unto them, She concluded to herself. Since they thought of it, they wouldn't be past using it.

"So, Willowleaf went to the Moonpool?" Hawkspirit asked, curiosity thick in his mew.

"Yes," Skyfall confirmed. "We had a bit of an event happen today during my warrior ceremony."

Hawkspirit's eyes lit up. "Your warrior ceremony! I almost forgot!" His throat erupted into purrs. "I'm so proud of you, Skyfall - wait, Skyfall?"

Skyfall flicked her tail. "I see you've discovered our event," She chuckled. "Sunstar knows about the prophecy."

Hawkspirit was silent. She knew that he had a million thoughts racing through his head, just as she had when she heard her name for the first time. However, she didn't want to focus on the prophecy right now. She was exhausted, and there was an emergency back at camp. Hawkspirit needed to focus on what she had gotten him for - Flowermoon!

"Flowermoon's carrying a lot of kits," She quickly changed the subject. "Willowleaf said previously that she thought there was at least five."

Hawkspirit's ears perked in surprise. "Five? That's a lot, especially for a cat of her size." His voice reflected his worry. 

"Willowleaf has been saying it will be very dangerous for her," Skyfall meowed, picking up her pace. "We need to hurry. Not only is Flowermoon in grave trouble, but we can't let Sunstar know you're coming to camp."

"Wait, Sunstar doesn't know I'm coming?" Hawkspirit asked, turning his head to look at her. Fear was evident in the ShadowClan medicine cat's eyes. She knew that he must be scared out of his fur, considering that it was beyond obvious that Sunstar had a disdain for all medicine cats, but especially ShadowClan's. He knew as well as she did that Sunstar still blamed Hawkspirit and Nightflare for the first battle between ShadowClan and ThunderClan that she had been around for. 

"No," Skyfall confessed. "But it'll be okay. Flowermoon's been very quiet, and the only people who knew about her labor when I left was Rainpetal, Shadepool and I, since we were keeping our silent vigil."