3: Phone Calls

TWITTER! @rjandmengconvos

3: Phone Calls

The next day, I literally had to drag myself out of bed. I used my feet to reach my blinds so I can pull it down. The sunlight was in every way annoying. I rolled over and wrapped myself in my duvet. Days like this, I wished I was in school. When I meant days like this, I meant, days where I dreaded work. I heard soft knocks on my door but I refused to make any sounds. The door slowly creaked open and my mom slowly popped up her head.

"Hey, call time is at 9." She smiled. "Good Morning. Lhexine is downstairs." I gave her a thumbs up and I heard her slowly close the door. I grabbed my phone under my pillow and checked the clock: It was 15-past 7. I can sleep for another fifteen minutes but DJ is probably on his way to the set right now or Lhexine might be waiting for me downstairs. I got up and 'fixed' my hair and dragged my feet downstairs.

"Good Morning!" My one-year-old niece shouted in her own language as she ran up to me. I couldn't help but smile. She's the cutest little ball of sunshine that can immediately put a smile on everyone's faces. But not today. I pressed a kiss to her forehead and continued my way to the kitchen. The little one trailed behind me and it took every inch of my body not to sass her. After all, she's just one. I ate silently as Lhexine sat across the table, eating her biscuits and just watching me. She would occasionally say something and I'd just have to wait and nod. I left the table and showered and by 8 on the dot, I was on my way to the set.

"You alright?" My mom asked, not really looking at me but reviewing my schedule on her phone.

"Good, fine. Whatever." I answered, slumping on my seat and putting on earphones. I was never the one to answer with only one word but I've just not been feeling it lately. My mom knew why but she never dared say anything. I closed my eyes, hoping for myself to fall asleep. I felt my right side get heavier and then I felt my mom press a kiss on my shoulder.

The day couldn't go by any faster. Everything was so annoying. The lights were too bright (but apparently, it's the normal one I see almost everyday), the boom mic was too big, the tape that we use for our lapel is a piece of shit, the wardrobe was not at all fabulous, the make-up seemed too casual for my liking and everyone was so happy, I wanted to punch them all in the face. But my subconscious said, it was just me being sad and that I was the annoying one.

DJ played with my fingers and talked and talked. He wouldn't stop. The amount of attention he's giving to me was so unusual, I wanted it to stop. He literally never left my side and even escorted me to the portable toilet. I knew he was trying to be nice or perhaps he was trying to show me that he was sorry for what he did but for some reason it just didn't click. It wasn't us. I didn't want us to change, not one bit. And I didn't want DJ to change. But for some reason, he thought the other way around. Apparently, this is his way of 'improving' us and being a 'good' boyfriend. I knew he noticed that I wasn't really talking or laughing but he didn't say anything and carried on talking.

"I'm on in three and they called me to standby. I'll be back." DJ grinned and kissed my cheek. I immediately felt the absence of his hand on mine but I wasn't near disappointed, I resolved to slotting the spaces with my other hand. My make-up artist, Ate Denise sat on DJ's chair and looked at me.

"Fair warning, I've got my mom hat on." She said and smiled before placing a hand on my arm. "How have you been holding up with all the issues surrounding you and DJ?"

"Good."

"Come on, Kath. I need more than 'good'."

I looked at her with the most 'what-do-you-expect-me-to-say' look and then looked away.

"I am good."

"You don't seem to be crying."

"I know. I haven't. No reason to. It's just an issue. It comes with my contract, right?"

She didn't say anything afterwards. She just gave me a re-assuring smile before leaving. I knew she meant well. Everybody means well. Just because I'm in a foul mood doesn't mean I don't appreciate things and people around me. DJ offered to drive me home when we wrapped-up around 8:30 in the evening. I reasoned out that I wasn't feeling well, resulting to him worrying and touching my forehead and continuously asking me how I was feeling. I wanted to mock him but I didn't. I got into my van and left.

I can feel my phone vibrating under my pillow. It's DJ. He's been calling and texting for the past 2 hours now and I did what had to which was stare at my phone until it went off. I didn't 'have to', I just couldn't do it. I wanted to let it all out but I couldn't. The management was restricting me to ranting on twitter like every other teenager in the world does, and if I tell my mom she wouldn't stop worrying. I refuse to tell anyone from my team or anyone from the business, my friend or not. I don't see the point of adding fuel to the fire. I felt alone but I also felt like I needed to be alone. I said alone, not lonely. But I'm feeling both.

My phone rang again but only lasted for a good 5 seconds before it went off. I checked the time before slipping my phone under my pillow.

It's 11:45 right now and out of everyone in this planet, I only wish I could talk to you.