The Amnesia Test

There was once a forest, out in middle of nowhere. A forest you could never forget. With its colorful vegetation, and blood-curdling creatures.
Deep in that forest, a boy is running, not knowing where he's going. Right close behind him, the snarls, roars, and screeches of monsters follow. Fear enveloped him as questions run through his head.
Where am I?
Why am I here?

Who am I?

----------------
He remembered the horn. Remembered waking up to the loudness of it. Remembered he is already in a jungle by then. And just as suddenly, he is running for his life. From nowhere, to nowhere.

The boy tripped. And with each sound he heard as he pushed himself up, the monsters become closer and closer. The crash of fallen trees, the rustle of grasses all around, urged him to run once again. The fear coursing through his blood the only fuel to his adrenaline.
His arms hurt from the fall, his legs ached from all the running he has done. His breath come in puffs, never enough for his pumping lungs. But he doesn't stop.

Stumbling over another root, he came across a worn down house, surrounded by purple trees with red leaves. The door is hanging by its hinges, the windows smashed, its glass pieces scattered all over the place. A slither of memory passed, making his head hurt. He clutched his head, aware of the sounds that keeps getting closer. He made a sudden decision and walked towards the house.

Inside is no better than the outside, but it's better than having no place to hide, the boy thought. He walked into the living room, finding a picture of a family in a broken frame fallen flat on the fireplace.

A family of four, he observed, then frowned at one of the kids in the picture. That's me!, he realized, not knowing how but trusting his hunch.
He looked around, trying to remember anything else, but to no avail. His memory had been wiped clean. Will he be able to retrieve it?
He contemplated that thought for awhile before a picture, fallen on the floor, caught his attention. Another picture of the family of four, but this time, the family members were not humans. Their skins are covered with furs and their once humans faces and hands were now muzzles and paws.

They're... lycans?

Just then, the front door crashed, sending pieces of wood and dust all around, and giving the boy some time to escape and hide. He ran to the back of the house finding a kitchen by the back door. But before he reached the back door, he heard a screeching roar sound and dived behind the kitchen island.

He sat there, his back to the kitchen island and breathed heavily, calculating his escape which stood a few feet away, debris surrounding him. When he felt a presence above him. He looked up and saw tentacles—no, tongues, he corrected himself—swirling above him, sticky moisture coating it.

He held his breath, and watched with saucer-like eyes as the tongues retracted back to its origin. He decided that he doesn't want to waste anymore time and made a run to the back door, not caring about the monsters in the room.

He went out with roars and screeches right behind him, back into the forest of purple trees, running through grasses and bushes. When he suddenly stopped. He looked around and his body starts to tremble as he recognized his surroundings.

He's back where he started.

He could never forget the cliff side where it all started.

He looked up the cliff side, then remembered the family picture. If he is indeed in that picture, then he's a lycan, a were-cougar, an excellent climber. He can climb this cliff side and run away from the monsters!
His excitement didn't last long, he heard branches cracked behind him and turned around, only to find people's nightmare right behind him.

By his right, a blue blob stared at him with its eyes which moves constantly around its gooey body. A yellow winged creature with tilted head is right behind its side.

In front of him, a mosquito headed creature with a horse's body and eight spider-like legs looked at him, its array of tongues dangling from its mouth.

At least now I know where did that came from!, he mulled that sullenly.

To his left, a lizard headed rabbit with dragonfly wings hovered, its own tongue darting out every so often. A six legged orange crocodile-like creature right beside it.

I can't risk them climbing after me, he realized, This cliff side might be the only escape I can think of in this jungle area.

I gotta hold them here somehow. I can't keep running like this. He decided, all the while closing his eyes, trying to call up his inner cougar.

Wake up!

Time flashes and he opened his eyes as mixed smells assaulted him and gasped as a radiant of colors invaded his improved sights. In a split second, he followed his instincts and lashed out, his arm—now paw—stretched in front of him as the spider-horse creature charged at him.

His claws tore through its leg tendons, leaving it collapsing to the ground behind him with a hiss. He growled then, to the monsters in front of him, all the while adjusting to his new, furry body. Payback's a bish, buddy. And so is karma. He thought, smirking.
----------------
A long time passed before he finally stepped on the top of the cliff, watching as the metallic double door across of him slide open, revealing a long hallway with only lamps overhead to light it.
He clasped his right upper arm, the half-healed wound he got opened up in the middle of his climb and walked into the long hallway, into the unknown future.

Unbeknownst to him, in somewhere hidden, a couple in lab coats stood in the middle of a room surrounded by hologram screens showing different things and various buttons and lights which blinked randomly.

"You think he'll survive out there?" The woman asked. Her hand moved the pen in it with precise movements on the clipboard she held.

"The government made us, darlin'," the man answered with an accent, "Failure is not an option." He continued, making a hand gesture in the air.

The screen in front of him, which showed the were-cougar, changed to view a sleeping girl in the middle of a calm beach.

The man then stepped to the panel of buttons and hovered his finger on a button with "Starting Horn" written below it. Then he smirked.

And the test begin all over again