#3) Meeting Old Friends

When Steve was still human, pirates captured his ship. What if others had survived as well? Namely Harry, Morita and Dum-Dum. Now, they're somewhat sad. As far as they know, their crew-mates and captain are all dead. But they're in need of money. So they invest in a small fishing boat and head out to sea. They're about to cast their net when they hear a strangely familiar giggle. 

They look over and see Steve perched on a sandbar. Well, only his top half. (Steve was playing hide and go seek with Bucky, who intentionally went the wrong way, to humor the merman.) "Steve?" Dum-Dum calls out unsuredly. "Is that you?" 

Steve frowns, not recognizing them but wondering how they know his name. He slides into the water and swims over. He pulls his top half out of the water and looks at them curiously. "How do you know my name? Who are you?" 

Morita stares at him sadly. "You don't remember us? We're your crew. Or whats left of us." Harry shakes his head. "Never-mind that. Lets get you dried off and into some clothes." 

Harry grabs him before he can protest and pulls him onto the deck. "Hey! What are you doing?? Stop that!!" 

Steve flails as he's pulled out of the water. The three stare at his tail in shock. Its beautiful blue with red and white shimmering throughout it. 

"What the Hell??" Harry screeches, the first to regain control over his voice. Steve glares. "Its my tail. I'm a merman, dipshit." Morita blinks. 

"If Steve was reborn as a mermaid... Then do you think that Siren really was Bucky?" Harry pales as this sinks in. "He did look eerily like him... Minus all the fishy parts." Dum-Dum said. 

Steve growls. "How do you know about Bucky?" Morita is about to answer when a snarl sounds behind them. They turn to see an enraged Bucky. 

How dare they try to hurt him. Try to take him away from me. He thinks. He opens his jaw and behind to sing. "Help Steve into the water. Don't dare touch him in any other way. If you hurt him, I'll make you regret it." 

The three get Steve into the water and as soon as he's free, Bucky stops singing. Steve bolts over to him. A simultaneously worried and relieved expression spread across the brunettes face as he wraps his arms tightly around the merman. 

After a moment, Steve turns and glares. "Alright, I want to know how you know me and my mate, and I want to know now." Bucky has his arms wrapped tightly around Steve so he can dart off in a moment's notice if need be. 

Dum-Dum speaks first. He explained how Bucky had been lover with Steve when they were humans and second command of their ship before he was lost at sea. A few years later, human Steve is saved by siren Bucky and the two became fast friends. 

Steve turned to Bucky for confirmation. Bucky bit his lip and nodded slightly. Steve worried his lip and nodded at the three to continue.

Morita explains next. He says that when Bucky was injured, Steve brought him to his house to treat his wounds. Harry fiddles with his hands and explains what he had done and apologizes profusely, looking on the verge of tears at having hurt his former friend in such a way. 

Steve glared at the man as he found out he injured his mate to the point of nightmares. He's about to make a comment. When Bucky squeezes his waist tightly and shakes his head. Steve huffs and Bucky places his chin in Steve's head. 

Morita continues and explains that once Steve released Bucky back into the ocean, the siren disappeared for months. Human Steve finally gave up and left with his crew, only to be intercepted by pirates. Every one but the four of them were killed. 

"We all though you were dead too. But, well... Here you are." Harry finishes softly. Steve frowns and turns to Bucky once more. The brunette nods softly. Steve huffs. "Well... This was... Informative. But... I won't-CANT go back with you." 

"What? Why not??" Harry snaps softly, a twinge of sadness in his voice. "You said it yourself." Steve said. "Everyone thinks I'm dead. And I kinda am. The only thing left of that Steve is memories and THIS gorgeous face." He makes a V with his hands and puts it under his chin.

Bucky snorts and kisses the crook of his neck. Steve lets out a breath and leans more into the sirens chest. "There's nothing left for me there. But I have everything here! Freedom to do what I want, when I want. Space to roam however I wish. Plenty to eat without having to worry about my next meal. And.." 

He places a hand on Bucky's cheek, stroking the arch of his cheekbone with his thumb, and gazing at the siren with love. Bucky leaned into the gesture and put a hand over Steve's, eyes half lidded and looking down at his other half in pure adoration. Steve smiles. 

"And most importantly, I have my mate." The blond leans up and kisses the brunette, who quickly and eagerly reciprocated. He pulls away somewhat reluctantly and turns towards the others. 

"Even if I COULD go back, I wouldn't go without him. And can you say, with 100% certainty, that the humans would accept him? A SIREN? No offence love, but you know what I mean." He shot the last part at Bucky, who just hummed into his neck. 

Morita sighed. "No. No probably not." The three were saddened slightly by this, but they understood. Bucky gave them a small close lipped smile while Steve waved goodbye. And then they darted off, prancing, ducking, weaving and twirling around each other as they played. 

The three never spoke to them again, but sometimes they swore they heard splashing, giggling and saw just a glimpse of the two before they disappeared into the waves. They told this story to their children and their children's children so that their story would live on.

(1026 words)