Spring&Summer

Something about his last week at Hogwarts makes his skin itch to a point where he wishes to scratch it all off. Several somethings actually.

First, it's his last week. Obviously. It has come too soon and too fast, and it feels as if he had arrived only yesterday. The past few months have been as thick and indulgent as a dream, making him comfortable. Complacent. It still hadn't really hit him that he would be leaving soon until he overheard some student casually mention some book he brought to read on the train ride back home, and now he feels like a clock hangs over him constantly, ticking down to the day when he must step back into that awful, musty, dirty place he could never call home.

Second, and really this doesn't make him want to scratch his skin off because he doesn't care at all, not even a little bit, is that Ximena is holding conversations with people. At lunch and dinner, he'll spot or overhear her discuss something or other with their housemates, and it's not always about academia. It's not always about a Transfiguration review, or advice on studies, or editing an essay. Lately, it's been about fashions, broom models, and which professor is the most attractive (Alder and Willow are in the lead, but that's not important--). Granted, Ximena does not chime in much to these talks, but she actively listens and replies when spoken to, which is more than could be said of their conversations just a few weeks ago. Where had this confidence come from? Was it even confidence? Or was she just trying to be more social? Probably Dumbledore's doing, then. Some plot to get her to speak to anyone that wasn't Tom. Because that's what good, responsible, caring adults do to children. They separate them from Tom.

Third: Dumbledore. Tom had tried to get Dippet to allow him to stay at Hogwarts for over the summer, but Dumbledore quickly shut it down just when he was beginning to get somewhere. Or maybe that's just his hope telling him that, and Dippet wasn't ever going to even consider the idea. No, regardless, it was worth it to try. Try to make him see. Dippet treats him favorably, it's only a matter of time before he has him wrapped around his finger. What was Dumbledore's issue, anyways? What would be so terrible about letting him stay here? Missing new ringworm infections?

The end of term obviously solves the problem of the later two, but what about the first problem? Should he wish that the Muggles finally go to war? Perhaps only then will they keep the muggleborns and himself at Hogwarts for safety. Shouldn't be too farfetched of a wish, Chamberlain is a downright idiot if the radio and adults at Wool's are to be believed...

He desperately wants a distraction. Anything to get his mind off the inevitable. The fact that it even is inevitable.

Nemesis' loud squawking laughter draws him away from his thoughts--She's sitting at the end of the row of tables, alongside a group of young Slytherins and the witch of the week. He leers bitterly. No doubt Ximena has just said something scandalous to the other Slytherins (probably discussing which professor was most attractive again), and Nemesis is giving her commentary on it. She's been quite chummy with her these last few days, it makes Tom think she's caught on to just how useful Ximena could be.

As for the older witch herself, she appears mildly uncomfortable with the attention, but she also looks like she's desperately trying. But what for? Why does she need to try? She doesn't need them--Not like he does. Has flocking with him ignited some sort of similar goal within her? To rise above others? It's a thrilling thought, if not unrealistic. He'll try to push her on it later.

Half of the group disperses, and Tom relaxes again--It's nothing like how attention was showered on her all those weeks ago, thankfully. It's more like a subtle shoreline. Coming in and out. Waxing and waning. It comes in phases. One day, she would be alone and solitary as always. As he likes her. As he knows her. As he met her. Another day, she might be located around dozens of other students. Quiet, as always, but listening. He wishes that he hadn't had been so obvious or open with his interest in his classmate. That she had instead become his special secret, rather than whatever nonsense this was. It makes him wish that he had given her something more concrete than some candies for her birthday. Something permanent and meant to be shown to others...