In Which Biscuits Are Eaten

CW: casual misogyny/wh*rephobia

-

Twice daily, at the very least, he's been thinking about what happened the other day. It was strange. Intimate. Awful. He would like for it to happen again. The eye contact. It was the most attention she's given him in weeks--Months. Good Merlin, has it been months? He thought this would be over by now...

What was it that made her acknowledge him? His direct addressing of her? That would mean that he should have been pestering her since the moment she decided not to speak with him anymore. And he already knows that's not true. He didn't just go ahead and allow for her to (temporarily) sever their friendship for nothing.

No. It wasn't for nothing.

At his shared table in the Slytherin common room, he sifts through his essay for corrections as Evan and Hedwig prattle on about the nature of the conversation that had passed in the library. It starts off well enough, with concerns that some of the poorer purebloods were treating their children like house elves in making them take care of their younger siblings, but soon morphs into something else––As their conversations often do.

They've been getting along better these past few months. Which, for them, just means they bicker less than thirty percent of the time (he hasn't done the math, but he can estimate) and agree at least forty perfect of the time (he's done the math on this one, and it checks out). It figures, considering they're both his closest confidants and guides in the wizarding world. It makes sense that they'd have to get along, for his sake. Even if he often feels like he's left in the dark when they speak about a topic that out of his depth. Such as now.

"Really if it wasn't for Lane's reputation, her confession would have labeled her The Slag of Slytherin."

Tom sits up straight, "Do you find issue with Ximena's want to adopt?"

"It's noble, Tom, I never said it wasn't." Evan chuckles, "It's about single parentage, not adoption–So quick to her defense despite her stating just the other day that she might just not bear your heirs?"

"What is or isn't in our future is none of your business, Evan."

He concedes. That's better.

"Your children would be pompous pups, just so you know." Hedwig lays her cheek on her fist, leaning on the table, "The both of ya are so infuriating."

"Thank you, Hedwig." She gives Tom a rude hand gesture. "Obviously, such talk is ridiculous, the two of you know we are not courting––but I am curious about the common protocol for adoption with wizards."

"Oh, lots of paperwork and bureaucracy. Background checking, making sure there's no closer, acceptable blood relations for the child. It doesn't usually happen unless their parents are dead or in Azkaban." Evan explains.

"Do wizards have godparents?"

Evan looks bemused. Hedwig looks at Tom like he's an idiot.

"Only half-bloods have godparents, you dense cunt--Why would the rest of us need sponsors?"

Now it's Tom's turn to look confused.

"When halflings want to do a semblance of the right thing, they find a godparent in the form of a reliable, trustworthy pureblood to sponsor their full entrance to the magical world." Evan explains.

"Some mudbloods do it too, but they're harder to guide for obvious reasons." Hedwig shakes her head, "It's pretty old fashioned. I don't think I know anyone with a godparent to kiss ass for them."