two

[[unedited]]

p.j.

"Sally is going to be here in twenty minutes. I have all of my stuff out of the cabin and with Chiron. I packed a few snacks for the drive because I know you get peckish, even though it's not a long trip. I left the itinerary of what needs to get done while I'm gone with Malcolm, but I trust that my brothers and sisters will be able to manage themselves to some extent without me. How are things in..." Annabeth looks up from her notebook and freezes. "Percy, you haven't even STARTED packing?"

I look up sheepishly from the mounds of clothes on my floor. Having a cabin to myself is both a blessing and a curse. When it comes to spending time with my girlfriend, uh, blessing. When it comes to having a reason to keep things tidy... well, the fact that I can't even find my phone is a bit disturbing.

"Why is your phone under two pairs of underwear that I don't think you've worn in at LEAST a week?"

Never mind.

I stand up from the edge of my bed and grab the suitcase that hasn't been touched since she laid it out for me last weekend. I set it on the floor and throw in a few of my favourite shirts. Annabeth storms over and throws my phone at my chest. "Percy, this is serious. We're leaving soon."

"'Kay, babe, you forget that I do this every year," I say, tossing a pair of sneakers in the bottom and stuffing them with socks. See? Expert packer. "This is no different."

I keep throwing things in my bag, but when she doesn't reply, I look over. Annabeth's grey eyes are kind of far away. I said something wrong, but usually she doesn't tell me much when I do. That would require her being 'in touch with her emotions', which I'm pretty sure she hates more than Arachne. I love her and she loves me; she can at least say that much. But when there are disagreements or conflicts that require us to discuss our relationship and explain how we're feeling, my genius girlfriend turns... how do I put this nicely? Mad stupid.

"This is no different," she repeats, picking up a shirt she had just folded and shaking it out. She folds it again. I rub my hands on the sides of my face in exasperation and walk over to her, hooking my thumbs into the loops of her jeans. This has become my signature thing. It's my 'come here, baby' move, and she always seems to lighten up when I do it. I spin her around and leave one hand on her hip. The other cups her chin and tilts it upwards so she has to look at me.

"This is no different for how I pack," I say, brushing my nose against hers. "I always pack in a rush. This year, though, is going to be the best of our lives. I get to live with the girl I love in the city I love and go to a school I actually might not get kicked out of." She furrows her brow and I laugh. It's my favourite expression. "Go to a school that I won't get kicked out of."

Annabeth smiles, and wraps her arms around my waist. I whisper a kiss against the side of her forehead and am about to nestle her comfortably in my arms when she leaps off of me. "We're down to fifteen minutes. You're lucky I'm organized. Let's go!"

- - - - - - - - - -

"Now, you both be careful."

Chiron goes on explaining what we need to do, that this could be extremely important when he has to decide whether or not other demigods can go to school in the future, blah blah blah, but I'm not listening. We're standing in front of the Big House, and from where I'm positioned, I can see the pathetic black spruce that we replaced Thalia with. Soon, I'm going to see a black car with absurd dents on the hood streak down the lane beside it. I don't care that I'm 17; I still get excited to see my mom.

Annabeth tugs on my pinky finger and I nod. "Yes, for sure, Chiron."

"No, Percy," she urges, giving me a harder yank so I have to focus on what our mentor is saying.

"What, sorry? I missed that."

"If you think, even for a second, that there might be a monster in your midst, what are you going to do?"

I look over at Annabeth, to see if her face gives away what I need to say. Her expression is rock hard, so I assume I need to say the most passive, untrue and un-Percy like thing ever. "I'll avoid it and contact you immediately. I don't want to screw this up for the other kids, so I'll stay out of trouble."

Chiron scratches his chin. He has a faraway look in his eyes. Finally, he nods at the pine tree. "It looks like your mother is here. Be safe, you two. And Percy?" I turn and give him a distant nod, assuming he's going to say something fluffy like 'have fun' or 'join the swim team' or whatever. "I don't believe you."

I freeze. "Wh-what?"

"I know that you're not going to sit around and wait if you do run into a monster." He gives Annabeth a look that says, 'I need to talk to him' and she scurries over to Paul's car. "That's never been something you would do. Even when you were twelve years old and yet to embark on your first quest, you wouldn't sit back and let others do what you knew you could accomplish on your own. You are selfless. It's one of your best qualities, and I truly believe it's one of the reasons we were successful in defeating Kronos. I could never tell you that, of course, since I wanted to be able to sit in the same room as you while your ego still fit, but it's true. It's a good thing, but don't let it become something reckless. Please."

I swallow, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jeans. Chiron knows me far too well; if there's a monster in my class, it's going to die at my hands and mine alone. No one else would have to risk anything. This is a scary adventure I'm about to go on, and though I know I'll be back, I don't want my last words of the summer to Chiron to be a lie. "Okay. I'll try and be good. I won't do anything stupid."

"Don't assure me that you won't be stupid," he grins, the crinkles by his eyes tightening. "I don't like people making promises they can't keep."

I smile.

- - - - - - - - - -

Well, hello. 1100 words. Is that better? Guys, I seriously have no idea, lol.

We already have a couple reads since last night, which is lit. I have no idea how to promote this or anything, so if you have any ideas, let me know. Also, wattpad has a premium version now? I've been MIA for a longass time, I guess.

Okay, question time. What's our take here on maturity? How comfortable are you guys with sex stuff and language? If you want it, you got it. If you don't, it's out. Just let me know; this is for you guys. This is for my fellow PJO lovers who have a soft spot for our Seaweed Brain and Wise Girl. That being said, I'll add that (if I haven't said this already) if you have any ideas for the book, just shoot me a message. I'm open.

My authour's notes need to stop being longer than my chapters. Hehe sorry. I hope you all had a lovely day and are enjoying the story if you've made it this far.

"Sugar and caffeine. My willpower crumbled."
(page 363, The Lightning Thief)

Thank the gods for everything in your life that brings you happiness.

Love, tumblingupwards