thirty five

[unedited]

a.c.

"Beth, come on, he's probably got a good reason for not being here."

I shake my head. I'm fuming. It was the most humiliating thing in the world to watch everyone around me kiss their significant other or some random person as the ball dropped. I stood, alone, even though my boyfriend is supposed to be here somewhere.

Olivia wraps her arm around my neck. "And come on. Boys ain't shit. We know that. If he's being a poop, let him be a poop. You're better than him anyway. That doesn't mean you necessarily have to break up with him, but you're better than him. Remember that."

She walks away, and I pull out my phone. I've gotten into a habit of scrolling through this 'instagram', on which I've followed a ton of different architects who post updates on their buildings. I've found it to be a good way out of social situations. I look up when I feel someone sit on the couch cushion beside me. There's something on Wyatt's face that bothers me. 

"Hey."

"Annabeth, I don't know how to tell you this..."

I'm surprised at how quickly my heart starts racing. "Wait, what? What's going on?"

"You should go upstairs. I just walked past the bathroom and, uh, Percy's in there."

"Is he sick?"

He shakes his head and my vision blurs. He's with Becki. I know it, I know it, I know it. I throw my phone and my drink at Wyatt and run upstairs. I push open doors wildly until one of them swings wide open and I see Percy sitting on the floor of the bathroom with Becki sprawled across his lap. My knees are weak. My mouth is dry. When he sees me, his face falls. "Annabeth..."

"What..." I sputter. "What could you possibly have to say for yourself?"

I'm expecting him to stand up and apologize, but he just gently pats Becki's head. Her dark hair is pulled up in a messy ponytail. I recognize it as the same ponytail Percy puts in my hair whenever he wants to practice his hair styling. "I don't know what you want me to say. Was I just supposed to leave her here?"

I'm baffled. Obviously, I don't know the situation, but should it matter? "I don't know, Percy. I just thought we were supposed to be better than this."

"If you think I cheated on you, I didn't," he snaps. He lifts Becki up a little too gently and lays her down. I can't decide if I want him to come hold me or walk away. "Something's wrong with her and she needed my help."

"You can be such a Seaweed Brain sometimes, Percy," I say. My voice is shrill. I'm sweating a bit. "She doesn't need you. She's going to keep pretending she does until you realize that you need her too. That's what girls do. It's a pattern that they keep forcing until it becomes natural."

"Something happened so when she came to me..."

"Yeah, something probably did happen," I say. She doesn't look like she's in good shape. "But she could have gone to anyone here, Percy, and she came to you."

"Because she trusts me!" He shouts. I can't believe he's not seeing this the way I am. "Gods, Annabeth, if I didn't know you better, it would look like you're jealous of Becki."

"And what if I am?" I say. "Why shouldn't I be jealous of the girl that my boyfriend spends all of his time with? I didn't peg myself as the jealous type either, but sometimes you leave me no choice."

"And I didn't peg myself as the kind of guy that would let his girlfriend dictate who he can and can't hang out with," he says, shaking his head. He steps over her limp body and comes to stand by me. He looks at me down his nose and I feel so small. "But if you're so damn insecure about where you fit in my life, even though I've made it perfectly clear since the beginning, then maybe we don't know each other at all. Or ourselves."

My heart is breaking. His cool eyes have never looked so cruel. "Is this us breaking up?" I ask, voice caught. "What's this supposed to mean?"

"You're the smart one." He takes my hand and I feel a bit better, but he unclasps the bracelet he gave me. "You figure it out."

He walks out of the bathroom and the strangest thing happens. I start to cry. My body shakes and I'm crying so hard I can barely breathe. Becki is in no shape to respond to this, so I close the door so that I can be in privacy. I lean against the door, losing the ability to stand. I sink to the floor and clutch my knees to my chest. I'm wailing, but the music outside drowns it out. We aren't broken up, I know that, because it'll always be me and Percy. But this feels so real. We've never fought like this before. I'll tell him to hang out with Becki for every second of every day if it means that we can get over this. I'll do whatever it takes to make this hurting feeling go away. 

There's a knock on the door. "Annabeth? Are you in there? I'm supposed to drive Olivia and Hilary home but I still have your phone. Percy said you might be up here."

I try and hide the sound of my clogged throat and snotty nose. "Just leave it outside."

"Jesus, Annabeth, you sound awful. Can I come in?"

"Leave it outside," I repeat. 

I can hear that he hasn't walked away. "Anna, I'm coming in."

"Don't," I nearly scream. No one can see me like this. I don't want him here.

"I'm sorry," Wyatt says sincerely. I like that he doesn't push me. "I'll leave it outside. Text me if you need anything, okay?"

I collect myself for a minute, and an idea crosses my mind. I wipe my nose and pull the door open. He's still standing there; he wasn't going to leave. He's in a button up shirt; it's too fancy for this party but I think it's cute. "Wait. Where's Olivia?"

"Downstairs, but dammit, Anna," his eyes are clouded with worry. "What happened? Is everything alright?

"It will be," I say. "But I want to come home with you guys. I'm going to stay at Olivia's tonight."

"Olivia's staying at my house," he says cautiously. "You can, too, of course. Is that okay with Percy?"

"He doesn't control what I do," I snap, giving my nose another wipe. "Let's go."

- - - - - - - - - -

Hey soooo... this probably isn't the ending that you wanted but it's what you're getting! Mwah! See you soon!

thank the gods for everything in your life that brings you happiness.

Love, tumblingupwards