Chapter 4

A week has passed since that unexpected conversation with Nathan Walker, and Jenny found herself thinking about it more frequently as the days went by. At first, she thought she was doing the right thing by declining his job offer, but now she wasn't so sure. She hasn't managed to find a steady job, and her pocket was really feeling it now ... as well as her stomach, but she tried not to dwell on that too much.

Although Jenny tried to keep her spirits high for Isabella's sake, she was finding it increasingly difficult to do so. Each day seemed more hopeless than the last, and she wasn't sure how much longer she could continue like this.

A cold gust of wind blew up the sidewalk where she was walking, and she huddled into her coat, which didn't protect much against the cold anymore. She couldn't help but sigh, trying to find some way to keep the frustrated tears at bay. 

She should've just accepted that job. They would have had enough money to eat, at least.

The cold early winter air stung Jenny's cheeks as she made her way up the stairs to the old library to fetch her niece. She tried to allow the rows of books and warmth of the building to lift her weary spirit when she entered, but it was no use. She had hardly eaten for three days, and she barely had any energy left to do anything other than what was necessary.

She found Isabella not long after she entered the building, sitting in her usual spot. 

"Isabella?" she called in a soft voice to alert her niece of her presence.

The little girl looked up and smiled. "Hey, Aunt Jenny."

"Come on, sweetie, let's go." 

Isabella nodded and placed the book back where she found it. Jenny then proceeded to help her into her coat before they walked out of the old building and onto the ice-covered streets.

"Did you have any luck today?" Isabella asked as she glanced up at her aunt, a hopeful look in her eyes.

Jenny sighed and shook her head, her tongue unable to form any words. The little girl looked back down at her shoes, and they continued to walk in silence. 

The young woman didn't like her niece's silence. She didn't want her to know that she was without a job, but it was impossible - seeming as though she had quit right in front of her eyes. Jenny didn't want her to feel the hardship, but it had grown to a point where it was impossible to keep the effects away from her. Especially since all they've been able to eat lately was plain bread.

It felt like an eternity in the cold before the two finally arrived at their apartment complex, and they barely set foot in the foyer before their landlord made himself known. 

"Miss Fox, I need to speak with you."

Jenny closed her eyes, already knowing what he was going to say. 

She took a deep breath before turning to face him. "Good evening, Mr Miles."

"Miss Fox, I would just like to remind you that your rent is two weeks overdue," he said with a curt tone as he stared at her with a hard gaze.

"I am aware of the fact," Jenny replied softly.

"And I would also like to point out that if I don't see my money in three days, I will have no choice but to ask you to vacate your apartment."

"What?" the young woman gasped. "Mr Miles, I have never been late with my rent before, and I-"

"I don't wish to hear excuses, Miss Fox," he interrupted with a raised hand. "I'll make this clear. If I don't see my money in three days, you're out of here. Understand?"