Chapter 5

When Jenny had decided to call Nathan after dropping Isabella off at school, she had expected to be told that the position had already been filled. She never thought that he would actually ask her to come to his office, let alone just over an hour after she called. 

She had been in such a state of shock that she didn't comprehend what he had said for almost a minute before her senses kicked in, and she rushed home to dress into something decent.

However, despite her effort, she still felt hopelessly underdressed and insecure as she opened the door to Nathan's office.

The size of the office alone was probably more than five of her apartments combined. The room, she noted, was lined with a bookshelf along the one wall while the other two walls were made entirely of glass, showing the impressive view of Manhattan beyond their panes. To her left, a modern lounge suite was placed, paired with a coffee table and business magazines atop it. The layout was positioned to face a plasma screen television mounted on the only bare wall in the room. Situated in front of one of the glass walls stood an impressive deep mahogany desk, and seated behind it was none other than Nathan Walker.

"Good morning, Jenny," Nathan greeted as his eyes flickered to hers.

"Good morning, Mr Walker," she greeted in return as colour flooded her cheeks. 

She hoped that she didn't come across as too gobsmacked by the sheer brilliance of the room and décor.

Nathan frowned slightly at her formal tone, but didn't address it. He reminded himself that she was supposed to be formal with him. 

He cleared his throat and gestured to the seats placed in front of his desk. "Please, take a seat."

Jenny gave a small nod and did as she was told. She tried to hide the giddy smile on her face as she sunk into the soft cushions. She can't remember ever sitting on such a nice chair.

Nathan waited a moment for her to settle in her seat before glancing up from the papers scattered across his desk. 

"I'll be frank, Jenny. I didn't expect to get a call from you," he said as he leaned back in his chair, regarding the woman in front of him with subtle curiosity.

Jenny shifted, feeling slightly uncomfortable under his gaze and smoothed down the edges of her blouse. "I needed some time to think about the offer," she began and cleared the nervous wobble in her voice. "It took me a bit by surprise."

She dared not say what propelled her to phone him.

Nathan hummed at her reply and nodded his head. "That's understandable. So, I'm assuming you've changed your mind?"

She pressed her lips together for a moment, choosing her words carefully so as not to come across as being rude. "I ... actually have a few questions before I make a final decision."

Nathan's eyebrows rose a little in surprise, and he gestured for her to continue.

She shifted in her seat once more. "What will my exact duties be?"

"Well, you have to help my daughter with her homework, get her ready for bed or her classes, and just keep an eye on her."

Jenny nodded. She expected that kind of response. "What about my niece?"

"As I mentioned before, your niece staying there won't be a problem." Nathan's reply didn't skip a beat.

Jenny hesitated after that. 

She hardly knew this man. She knew nothing about him as a person other than what was spilled to the gossip magazines. She wasn't the kind of woman to put her niece in a stranger's home like that even if he had his own daughter. So what if he was a billionaire? Didn't mean that he was actually going to take her and Isabella to his lavish mansion.