Meet and greet

~~~

I found this writing prompt somewhere in the depths of Tumblr (writing-prompt-s) and decided to make a series out of it. Even though it is not my original thought, I did put my own spin on vampires into it. Hope you'll enjoy your stay.

~~~

My bag hit the floor as I closed the front door behind me.

"You are aware your doormat states 'Come right in!' I hope?"

I froze in place. My heartbeat filled every part of my body with thunderous force.

The baritone voice that greeted me was not one I've ever heard before. When I turned, there was a face to accompany it. The young man observed my expression with a subtle curl to his lips. He sat in my floral print couch as if he belonged. With my faithful canine companion's head on his lap.

"Alex?" My voice came out weak and barely audible.

Alex raised his head and met my eyes. I could see his tail hitting the cushions behind him.

"What? Who?" My eyes rushed between the dog, the stranger, and my front door. "How?".

Alex whined and jumped from his perch, trotting to me.

"You traitor!" I finally found my voice in time to scold the dog. My head was spinning with an onset of rage. Alex bowed his head as I turned my attention to the stranger who approached without a sound. Dark clothes covered his lithe figure, light clung to what little skin was in sight like to fresh fallen snow.

"Andrew Blueheart, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Chestnut strands of hair spilled forward as he bowed his head to me. He kept a respectful distance between us. I was more than confused.

"Is this some sick joke? Who put you up to this? How did you get in through the locked door?" I barraged him with questions. There was nowhere I could go. Were I to try escaping onto the street he'd be on me in a moment and his presence blocked me from going further into my home. With no other way I gathered all my resolve and brought strength to my voice and posture. Alex turned to face the stranger, Andrew Blueheart, as well. A low growl filled the space between us.

Andrew straightened, his eyes on Alex and his hand on his chest as if the dog had offended him.

"Alex greeted me through a second storey window which I then used to gain entrance." His tone was low and soothing.

"Saddly, Alex has no authority to bring guests over. I suggest you leave before police gets here." My phone was in my palm in no time.

"Please. There is no need for alarm." Andrew turned sideways as if inviting me into my own home "Would you like some tea?" He asked with a flourish of his hand.

"What?" I blinked, but my dog seemed to throw his earlier support to the wind and went right back to the couch.

"It always helps me dissolve tension." The man insisted, and against my better judgment, I complied. His calm was contagious.

"Are you really offering me my own tea in my own home?" I ruminated, but Andrew waved it off.

"Heavens no. Your ... collection... is somewhat poor. Lucky I always bring some on my person."

With that statement, all the composure I had left me and I shook with laughter. I fell into the cushions and stroked my forehead. Alex yowled with surprise and jumped off. Andrew observed me with a curious expression and glimmering deep brown eyes.

"Oh now I see!" I called "This is a dream. I passed out at work. I got to stop pulling all-nighters."

I sat up straight and met Andrew's gaze.