CHAPTER 1

Edited: 17/01/2020

A hell hole. That was the best was to describe that place. I never thought a school could get any worse than St Cuthberts and yet, sat patiently outside the headteacher office of my new school, I realised that I'd been so naive. The dawning realisation that there was a big chance that my life was about to get a whole lot more miserable was a scary.

Sorry I haven't introduced myself. I'm Dec, sounds posh I know, it's short for Declan. Don't get the wrong idea though, my family wasn't rich; my Dad was a Police officer and my mum was a nurse for old people so we got by just fine financially.

That day was the beginning of the end for me, at least that's how pessimistic teenage Declan would have described it. I was moving school and not to a better one either. My parents were hoping for a fresh start for me and new friends.... but for me it just meant new, meaner bullies and less places to hide.

This school was notoriously rough, it was a Community College in the centre of the poorer parts of Newcastle near where i lived. After hearing rumours about the types of boys that go there to this day I haven't a clue why my parents thought I'd be safer there than back at the catholic school.

Don't get me wrong, the bullying was horrible at Cuthberts, in all honesty it had almost broken me, in the last couple months I had never felt so low and alone. But this place was gonna be a whole lot worse, we were talking fights, alcohol and drug dealing on a daily basis. At least that's what I've heard anyway.

I shuffled nervously in my seat when I heard shouting on the other side of the pristine office door.

I was only there for an induction from the head and yet I sensed this weight at the pit of my stomach as if I was the one being punished.

I hadn't seen whoever it was having to injure the full blinding fury of the head master... the teacher was literally hurtling verbal abuse which could probably be heard at the other end of Newcastle, every word was a slur- a personal offence. Whoever was in there must have done something bad but I didn't think anything could warrant the telling off this this boy was getting but I just guessed that was what the kids needed at that school.

I couldn't stop myself from pitying them, despite it being my soft nature that always got me into trouble in the first place. The pull of curiosity was too strong for me, it had me on the edge of my uncomfortable plastic seat waiting for that person to exit the room.

I didn't have to wait long though, as the door slammed open with so much force I thought it's hinges would break. The Head teacher could be heard scolding the student responsible for the abuse on the innocent door as a dark haired boy, taller than myself but probably about my age, strolled out. Perfectly executing the 'i dont give a shit'.

I realised quickly I was probably staring longer than was socially acceptable but the bad boy who walked past was impossible not to watch. I'd learnt to enjoy people watching a lot, seen as no one wanted to be friends with a 'short freak'.

I was enthralled this time, so many questions surrounded the dark haired, intimidating boy clad in a black denim jacket with a stylish hood and scruffy jeans - this school does have a uniform but clearly the rules don't apply to him, the only piece of legal clothing he was wearing was a greying school shirt and short lose tie.

Suddenly the boy stopped, every muscle in his body tensed while his head stalked dangerously low like a lion ready to attack. He turned to stare at directly at me with cold eyes.

My attention was drawn momentarily to his busted lip and brushed jaw line. That was curious, but the battle scars almost completed his look.

I swallowed thickly when my eyes met a pair of cold, deep, blue eyes through the dark bangs that hung messily over his forehead. Those ocean orbs seemed to be alight with rage and anger but there was something else in them too as they flickered over my face before all emotion hardened again. The glare had me pinned to the spot while my heart stopped dead in my chest.

"What the fuck you staring at short-stuff?" He spat aggressively. I shuffled uncomfortably in the hard plastic chair, moving my wide eyes to the ground and struggling to stutter a coherent reply. I looked every bit the frighten rabbit I was.

"Mr McPartlin! What part of suspended and banned from school premises, do you NOT understand?!!" Boomed a deep voice from the tall middle aged man stepping though the threshold of the office door.

The dark haired boy muttered something, no doubt rude, under his breath and shoved his hands deep in his jacket pockets before walking off. He kicked his way through the door and out into the small expanse of green that lay before the rusting front gate.

I stayed silent. Watching him kick a bin over as he moved towards the parking lot to the right of the path until a cough brought me out of my daydream.

"I do apologise for that scene Mr Donnelly. Would you like to follow me? This will only take a minute and then you can start with your first day."

Fantastic, I couldn't wait.... especially not after that stunning first impression.

Ant is embracing his bad-boyness in this and it's hot 😂