In The Long Run (8)

Jamie's POV

A few days after Wayne and I had told my parents about the pregnancy, everything was fine. When my mother recovered from the shock, she actually seemed excited about the whole thing and Wayne and my dad, well, they've never been closer. I was pretty excited myself, except for the fact that my coach is going to hate me and that the whole school will definitely think I'm a slut. When I tell my coach about it, I'm sure she'll be furious. She'll probably refuseto ever train me again, because I was a disgrace and an irresponsible little whore. I was tired of people calling me a slut or whore or whatever insluting names they came up with. Someone only becomes a whore when they frequently sleep with different people, not because you slept with one person, once, and get pregnant.

Liz and I bonded a lot. She bought every single book she could find about a healthy pregnancy and Curly contributed by becoming Liz's second in command, doing anything and everything for me when Liz wasn't around. Wayne and I on the other hand, we kind of kept our distance, mostly because he spent almost all his free time with my father, doing who knows what.

It kind of made me lonely. We'd been together for most hours of the day, everyday, for like almost five years and now, all of the sudden, he's not there when I need him. I missed him, even though I saw him everyday. I missed our homework sessions after school, I missed the way he would hold me when he was tired, the way he made me grilled cheese whenever I needed it, how messy his hair was after baseball practice, his big brown eyes when he said something to make me laugh, but most of all, I missed him.

It was a Wednesday afternoon. Wayne brought us back to my house to do homework and have some lunch, before he went to work till seven. We were busy with biology, when I remembered something.

"Have you told your parents yet?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No, I was planning on it, but I didn't have the guts yet."

"I could tell them with you."

"No, it's fine, I want to do it myself, I just need to find the courage to do it."

"Okay, but I'm here if you need me."

He smiled and continued with his homework. He really was brave, even though he wouldn't admit it himself. I've always seen him as the brave one between us, although, he would say I was the brave one.

He went to work not long after we'd finished our homework.

Wayne's POV

I left work around the usual time, which normally would've been fine, but this time I wish I could've slept at work. I really didn't want to go home, because I knew I'd have to tell my mom and obviously my stepdad too. I knew this wasn't going to end well, but I basically promised Jamie I'd tell my parents. I sighed and slowly walked out of the building and across the half-lit parking lot. I wish Jamie would've been there with me, but I knew I had to do this. Not a single person passed me on the sidewalk all the way home. It was really lonely. I reached our apartment building and dragged my feet up the stair, because the elevator was still out of order. I stood in front of the door and contemplated whether or not, I should go in, but I did, eventually. The key sounded unusually loud as I turned it in the lock. When I opened the door, my mom and Nick were sitting on the couch.

'Perfect.' I thought sarcastically. 'In the perfect position to hear your seventeen-year-old son is going to be a father.'

"Hey, honey. How was work?" my mom asked nicely.

"Same old, same old." I answered back, kind of flatly.

"Okay, well, your dinner's in the microwave."