In The Long Run (17)

I'm so uncomfortable it isn't even funny. Seriously, I've practically been sitting for days now. I'm twenty eight weeks, which means I'll be visiting Dr. Gustavo much more often. He said the appointments will be every two weeks from now on, so Wayne and I are getting a little anxious. He said that the baby has a ninety percent chance of surviving if it's born now, but I'm really hoping it'll stay put. I haven't been going to school, because Dr. Gustavo informed my parents and the school that this was a time for me to take it easy and let the baby chill out as well. At first I was fine with it, but now I feel really sick. I've been home alone for who knows how long and I'm constantly tired and lethargic. Wayne had to be at school and my parents had to be at work. Even Liz had to get back to college to catch up, but she said she'd be back next weekend for "my surprise". I don't really want to think about any surprises right now.

I got up from the chair and trudged into the kitchen to make me a sandwich. I opened the fridge and grabbed the needed ingredients. Sliced ham, some lettuce, cheese and mustard, yeah, can't forget the mustard.

"You like mustard, don't you squirt?"

Obviously I wasn't waiting for an answer so I grabbed a knife and slathered some mustard on the bread. Suddenly I felt a dull but sharp pain down in my stomach. It stopped and I exhaled a breath I didn't know I was holding. It was probably just a normal cramp or something. I ignored it and continued constructing my sandwich. Ow! There it was again, only this time it was sharper. Oh, no, no, no, no, no! Please, not now! I'm home by myself and I was gripping the counter too tightly to get the phone. My legs felt wobbly and I didn't want to get hurt while there's no one around to help, so I hesitantly let go of the counter and slid down to the floor. If you're a girl, imagine the worst menstrual cramp you've ever had and multiply it by sixteen. That's how I felt right now. Oh shit, this was it. I'm going to have my baby on the kitchen floor! I clutched my stomach and started praying and mumbling to myself and the baby.

"Please, oh please stay in there. Daddy's not here yet."

I was scared. I was genuinely scared right now. How on earth am I supposed to have the baby on my own? This can't be happening. We were supposed to rush to the hospital. Wayne would hold my hand and my parents would bring all the necessary stuff. We had everything planned out, even the plan 'B'. They didn't cover any of this in the two birth classes we went to. Wayne wasn't here to coach me and I was too panicked to concentrate on my breathing. I could feel the tears build up in my eyes as I squeezed them shut in the hopes that it would numb the pain. I sniffed once and then mentally slapped myself.

"Stop it you stupid girl." I scolded myself. "You can do this. Stop being a pansy and breathe."

And I did just that. I shut my eyes tightly and took deep, steady breaths, clutching my stomach all the way. In and out, in and out, I just focused on my breathing and soon the pain actually passed, but I didn't stand up. I sat there for about ten more minutes, feeling like a complete idiot. I am such a wuss. I couldn't even handle a few cramps. Eventually, I hoisted myself up by gripping the counter and took one look at the sandwich I was making.

"You know, if you don't like mustard, you could've just nudged me. There's no need to be so dramatic about it."

I put the sandwich away for later and opted for a plain ham sandwich with cheese. That so wasn't funny. I was really scared there. What if I really was going into labor? I'd be totally screwed. I ate my sandwich and stayed on the sofa for the rest of the afternoon. The phone was clutched between my fingers the whole time and I wasn't taking any chances. Finally it was three thirty and Wayne didn't have baseball practice today, so he'd be home any minute. The door opened and closed and I heard footsteps coming into the living room.

"Jamie?" Wayne asked over the back of the couch. "Hey, are you okay?" He sat down next to me and gave me a hug. "You look like you've just seen a ghost."

I put my head in the crook of his neck and inhaled his scent quickly. "I'm so glad you're here. I thought I was going into labor earlier."

"What?!" There was a slight hint of anger in his voice, but knowing Wayne, he was just worried. "Why didn't you call me? Or your parents? Something could've happened and you'd be alone!"

"I couldn't get to the phone. It hurt too much. I was having these sharp cramps and I tried the breathing thing they taught us at the birthing classes. It helped a little and it eventually went away, so everything's fine."

He still didn't look pleased. "Well what if your water broke? It's not like you can breathe that away."

"If it was my water that broke, I would do everything in my power to get to the phone, even if I had to swim."

He snorted a laugh, but quickly tried to compose his expression. I smiled. At least he wasn't going to be too angry with me now. He left the conversation at that and cuddled with me on the couch. He was so warm and smelled good enough to eat.

"Wayne, why do you smell like cookies?"

He chuckled. "I worked in the bakery today. They were short on staff and I didn't have anything else to do. I got a few choc chips for free."

"Really? Where?" Damn, I sounded like a deranged cookie monster.

"On the kitchen counter, but leave some for your parents and my dad. I got just enough for all of us."

I got up and made my way to the kitchen. True to his words, he'd left a brown paper bag next to the fridge filled with cookies. I took two out and went back to sit next to Wayne. I handed him one cookie and took a bite out of mine. After a while, I felt some commotion in my belly and instinctively reached for Wayne's hand. I lifted my shirt just a little and laid his hand down flat on my bump. His eyes moved to our hands and stayed there for a few seconds before a smile spread out over his face. I knew he could feel the baby, because I could too. It was so normal now. At first Wayne would freak out and practically do somersaults when he felt the baby move, now he'd just smile and get that sparkle in his eye. He'd occasionally kiss my bump and whisper something, after which there'd be more movement. The baby could recognize his voice and mine too. I started singing lullabies two weeks ago before bed, but I never told Wayne. It was our little secret, our special time to bond.

"When's our next appointment?" Wayne asked, breaking my little daydream bubble.

"Next week, I think. Why?"

"Just asking. I want to see her again."

"Her?" What was he talking about?

"Yeah, the baby." He answered nonchalantly, staring at the TV.

"It's not a 'her', Wayne."

"Well, it's not a 'he' either."

"How would you know?"

"I haven't seen any additional appendages in any of our appointments, plus you bet it's a boy, so it's definitely a girl."

"I know it's a boy. It's way too powerful to be a girl."

"Well, maybe she takes after you."

"Maybe 'he' takes after me."

He glanced at me from the corner of his eye and smirked. "We'll see."

"Yes we will." I said, crossing my arms and leaning back against the couch. "Hundred bucks says it's a boy."

He stared at me incredulously. "What?"

"I bet one hundred dollars that it's a boy."

"Are you serious?" he asked laughingly.

"Dead serious."

"It's on then." he said, shaking my hand.

"May the best woman win."

He just laughed at me and relaxed back against the couch. That money is so in the bag. I know I'm right.