Episode 2: iJennifer and the Technological Uprising

"Advancements in technology are a threat to all of mankind." Jennifer says with a serious tone and the end of the world in mind, as she leans against the row of lockers, next to Tessa.

"I think it's kind of neat," Tessa says while slurping up the last of her iced coffee, as Mr Nibbs, the school Janitor, comes riding past on his Segway. Cleaning supplies strapped onto the front of the contraption and an old rag slung over his shoulder. Apparently the school's let him bring his robot overlord to school because of his difficulty walking... Jennifer's only question is that if he can't walk properly, then how can he still clean?

Mr Nibbs has had the Segway for about two years now and has used it daily since. At first, the town was abuzz about it and what an interesting sight it is to see grey, old, Mr Nibbs picking up a few things from the farmer's market each Saturday or taking his little dog, Snogger, for a stroll, but now it's become rather normal. Normal enough to start allowing the thing in Mecha Fall's historic school.

"You still haven't told me what happened between you and Angus last week..." Tessa says and flutters her long lashes.

"He's gonna run someone over one of these days, Tess..."

"You've been in a bad mood ever since!" Tessa says. "You've got to tell me! You used to tell me everything." She says with fake sadness in her voice.

"We didn't actually talk, Tessa..." Jennifer starts to say, when...

"You're in front of my locker." Ronita Timpelton, the black-haired-hacker-girl, says and crosses her arms over her chest. Tessa just holds up her hand, silencing the short, feisty girl and continues to talk to Jennifer.

"Well then what's wrong?" Tessa asks.

"He was talking to someone," Jennifer says and bites her lip.

"Seriously guys, I have to get to class." Ronita says, only half irritated, also listening to the new gossip.

"Who?" Tessa asks.

"I don't know! He was on the phone. He was smiling that stupid smile of his and... smiling all stupidly." Jennifer says and waves her hand dismissively. This is stupid, she's just being stupid. She's not like this, like other girls, but something here feels off and she's not really sure what.

"Smiling stupidly, you say." Tessa smiles and lets out a little laugh, her hunger for gossip satisfied. "Did he see you?"

"No."

Mr Nibbs rides past again, this time only narrowly missing the tiny Ronita Timpelton.

"See! I told you! It's a safety hazard! Technology must die!" Jennifer says.

"Stop changing the subject!" Tessa yells.

"I'm not changing the subject. We've got more pressing matters to deal with here; the safety of all the students at Offset High is at stake!" Jennifer says and Tessa storms off without another word. Jennifer frowns, Tessa's never done that before.

"Technology isn't all bad." Ronita says to Jennifer, while opening her locker. "If you like, I can find out who Angus talked to last Friday. For a price."

"It's fine," Jennifer says and looks past her, down the hallway, to where Tessa disappeared to. "Thanks Ronita."

She shrugs and slams her locker shut. "The offer still stands. A few key strokes and I can have you his entire digital profile." And she walks off without another word.

***

Jennifer dials Tessa's number and wedges the phone between her shoulder and ear. But, again, the phone doesn't even start ringing before it cuts off. Jennifer takes her books out of her locker and slams the door shut, only to drop her phone in the process. Jennifer leans her head against Tessa's locker, in front of her.